Niacin

Nana Allred

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
My ducklings are about 2 weeks old and I have been feeding them chick starter...I haven't been supplementing with Niacin, but I've heard that I need to. I picked up some capsuls today, how much and how do I give them to my ducks?

I ground up a 100mg pill and added it to 1 gallon of water. I also added an electrolyte powder just to give them that extra boost. My Rouen was having leg issues for a while. I started using the Niacin and electrolytes and *poof* it was gone. I don't think her poor legs could hold up her weight for long, as her body was growing so fast!

Make sure it is the correct niacin.
You want nicotinic acid.
You do not want inositol hexanicotinate, which is inositol that has been esterified with niacin on all six of inositol's alcohol groups. This one is usually sold as "flush-free" or "no-flush" niacin.

I couldn't find any NON "flush free" niacin. There were 6 different types sold at the drug store all were "flush free." Will it hurt the ducks?

Quote:
lol... get lots of bugs and insects and vegetables that are high in niacin and feed regularly as treats to your ducks.. Freeranging ducks with a great variety and supply are rarely deficient.

No bugs out here yet, but the slugs are beginning to emerge! Feast time! I can't wait to see what they are going to do with the big banana slugs we get - we're talking 4+" and easily thick as a thumb
lol.png

I purchased niacin capsules from Swanson Vitamins (they sell the regular niacin). Opened them up and put them in the drinking water (one per gallon or so). I did this every day until the ducks started free ranging. No leg problems.

Back
Top Bottom