Uk Rheas, Incubation, Candling & Hatching. Warning Picture Heavy!!!!!

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi All

After the postive comments about our thread of assisting a Macaw to hatch I thought I'd start a similar thread documenting the incubation of our Rheas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472294

We bought 4 eggs in 2010 from three different sources and decided to use our experience of parrots and poultry incubation and apply these principles to the Rheas.

We dicovered the Rheas should be incubated a degree lower than our other eggs so we had use our only spare incubator and pirate a Brinsea Octogon 20. First problem was the eggs were to big and we could'nt fit the hood on
barnie.gif
We cut out a collar from a dense styrofoam that went round the edge and raised the height internally by 3 inches. The hood was placed on the base with a little clearence for the top of the eggs. This was held on by wrapping a velcro strap round the whole incubator to hold it as a snug fit when turning. The 4 eggs filled the incubator and the automatic turning mechanism did some groaning with the weight of the eggs (approx 3 kilos). So the eggs were set at 36.4C with no water in the incubator and RH 40%. They were turned throughout by that little Brinsea turning motor and a daily hand turn of 180 degrees. So with everything set up we left the eggs to it and waited. I'll let the pictures complete the story.

80310_rhea1.jpg

The Rheas eggs are an olive colour when fresh but soon fade to cream.

80310_rhea2.jpg

The Brinsea Octogon 20 fully loaded and with a 'height booster'.

80310_rhea3.jpg

Candling a fresh Rhea egg.

80310_rhea4.jpg

Candling at Day 8/9 and the baby Rhea is visible.

80310_rhea5.jpg

Candling on Day 11

80310_rhea6.jpg

Candling on Day 14

80310_rhea7.jpg

Day 30 and sudden air cell enlargement which drops down one side of the egg

80310_rhea8.jpg

Day 31 and the air cell now has shadows moving into it as the chick positions its head for internal pipping.

80310_rhea9.jpg

Day 32

80310_rhea10.jpg

Day 33 The shadows are clearer and the darker shadow in the air cell is the beak. We could hear clicking and an occasional whistle to confirm internal pipping.

80310_rhea11.jpg

Day 34. The shadow of the bill in the large air cell is even clearer. All eggs hatching normally appear like this on candling once internally pipped. The egg automatically rolls with the pip uppermost if placed on a flat surface. This is the natural hatching position!

80310_rhea12.jpg

Day 35 and now in a still air incubator with raised humidity - 'Lockdown'. Note the large size of the air cells that I traced in pencil onto the shells when candling.

80310_rhea13.jpg

Day 36. No zipping they just burst out after smashing large chunks of shell off. 1 other egg in lockdown with them and 1 still in the Brinsea.

80310_rhea14.jpg

Number 3 required assistance with internally pipping. The egg was resealed with surgical tape once respiration commenced.

80310_rhea15.jpg

36 hours later and the baby's ready to hatch. Guided by candling and behaviour we knew when to safely realease the tape to allow hatching. Its a Grey!!!

80310_rhea16.jpg

Hello world!!!

80310_rhea17.jpg

The first 2 that hatched were Whites. At 2 days old we started putting them in an outdoor pen for a few hours.

80310_rhea18.jpg

The gang of juvenile Rheas March 2011.

In all we hatched and raised all 4 eggs. We got 3 whites and 1 grey. We think we've got one white male and the rest are female. They've got very inquisitive personalities and pull at our watches, rings etc. They're still growing but doing well on graze and ostrich growers pellets. Hope you enjoyed the story and found it interesting
wink.png

Pete

Last edited:
WOW! I LOVED THE MACAW HATCHING PICTURES!!!!! I have Cockatoos (3) and an Eclectus. I have hand fed baby cockatoos before and it's just a miracle how they start out looking like a naked, helpless embryo and turn into a magnificent feathered masterpiece!!! Thank you for doing this, it made my day! I look forward to seeing your expertly done photos of the emu (something I secretly want to hatch and raise someday).

Thanks for all the postive comments from you friendly guys and gals in the States. Good morning from the UK
smile.png
Rhea pics now loaded.

This is really amazing! I love the candling pics! I've only ever candled chicken eggs and quail eggs...I can't imagine how awesome it must be to have an egg that large with a moving baby in it. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom