monster size delaware?

Auscal

Songster
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
I bought three delaware pullets from a local feedstore - along with three red sex link pullets. I got them at two days old, they are now 13 days old. Two of the "delawares"(??) are huge - currently easily three times the size of the other delaware - which is just slightly larger than the red sex links. The large two chickens act differently, they walk then lay down all the time, they oftern lay down as they eat, and they are getting a lot of feathering for two weeks of age. It seems fairly apparent to me they are not delawares, even though all three have the same blue hatchery marking on their head. I'm a chicken newbie, and am asking for other opinions. I'm thinkign of calling the feedstore to see what else they got in with that order - I don't care so much if they are another egg laying or multi purpose breed - but, I am staring to think they are "meaties".

two "delawares"
70739_img_1234.jpg

one of the larger birds, front on
70739_img_1226.jpg

from above, two "dealwares" red sex link in upper right
70739_img_1272.jpg

The two large birds are white Cornish chickens. They put on weight extremely quickly, are larger than most chicks of the same age, and often lay down to rest like you described.

Hi, "meat " birds people :)

I thought I was buying three Delaware chicks - but, at 13 days of ago, two of them are "monster" sized. I think I got some type of meat birds - which I know nothing about raising ( and, to be honest, had no interest in doing so). I', hoping some of the kowledgeable members here can help me ID my birds ( and, what the heck to do with them).

From above - two "delawares" with red sex link on the upper right

Two delawares ??

large bird, from the front

70739_img_1242.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't want to raise and process them, I would list them on craigslist or something like that. They aren't bred to live very long.

CX - as in Cornish X ?

So, OK, how the heck does a newbie even think about butchering etc..... I was supposed to have egg laying chickens....

I might be having an interesting conversation with the feedstore tomorrow - though I'm pretty sure they really won't care at all.....

Back
Top Bottom