Chick walks backwards only

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
I just (as in 5 hours ago) got 2 chicks from the local feed store. They were sold as 3 wk old araucanas, but I think they are 2-3 wks. They were pretty stressed when they got here, so I let them rest. I just went and handled them and noticed one of them only walks backwards. If I go to grab it, it backs away on its "knees". I haven't seen it stand up yet. To go forward it flaps its wings and flies/runs forward. It seems most comfortable perched on my finger, which it does very well, but uses its wings for balance. It keeps backing into corners and even was sitting in the waterer. I've just started it on medicated chick starter, I'm guessing that's what it was on before. At the feed store they were on pine pellet bedding.

What could be the problem? And most importantly, is it contagious?

Wings down for balance when she perches
P4210032.jpg

This is the only way I've seen it. Feet out in front. (It's the one not standing).
P4210038.jpg

Thanks for any help.

ensure they are drinking properly...the one having problems may be unable to drink sufficiently whixch would account for exacerbation of neuro problems...you will need to help it drink by regularly dribbling water along it s beak or holding the waterer in position so it can drink itself.
Give three drops of POLYVISOL Enfamil in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next... hopefully this will be sufficient to correct the matter.

Do you have a heat lamp on them?One of my sisters new 5 weeks olds was doing that. In fact the kids named it "reverse" because of it. As soon as we put him under the lamp he perked up and started walking forward.

Also have you checked his toes are they crooked at all?

When I came home this afternoon, the chick was up on its feet, and seems fine now. Maybe it was just traumatized from the trip home yesterday. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom