Does anyone work from home?

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
I have asked this before, but there are so many new members, that I thought I might ask again.

How many of you work at home and what do you do? I am a single mom and a nurse and I really need a way to make some extra money without being away from my kids any more than I already am. Thanks, Suz

I work at an office furniture dealership as a project manager. I have finally convinced my boss to let me work from home one day a week. Hopefully, as our numbers improve and the department makes the transition from being a catalog dealership to a contract dealership, I will be able to work from home a little more often.

My pipe dream is to buy the plot of land behind me and be a full time farmer. My husband and I have created the idea of a family co-op farm (we both come from relatively large families) where everyone in the family would pitch in money-wise, we'd grow the food, and they could come out every week or two and pick up their share. Vegetables, eggs, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, apple pies, canned goods, Christmas trees in December, Easter Lillies at Easter time, etc. Of course, the jackass that owns the property behind us won't sell. And we'd have to go beyond our families to make it even somewhat feasible. But it's a great dream!

I work from home about half the time (cleaning poop!, hah!). I am a consultant so I go out to client sites about half the week, then am at home doing scheduling (gotta love the phone) and report writing. My background is engineering and I work for corporate property insurance. I REALLY would like to have a side job for extra income, but time is not on my side. Does providing input on BYC count?
big_smile.png

One day, hope to have a bakery with my friends ... and maybe raise enough eggs to be 'self-sufficient' in that area.

I work from home. We care for my father who's had a stroke. I'm a Civil Engineer and I now do design work rather than project management. Oh and I have a farm. Guess which I like better? Being a project manager or a part time farmer?
lol.png

I used to work in a bank, which I hated!!! Soooo, DH and I decided to make our 5 acres work for us. We built a 10 stall barn and now board horses. So I get to stay home and run the farm. I just got into chickens this year and just started selling eggs and chicks. Lovin every minute of it!!!!

I work from home part of the week. I am a software engineer/software architect/programmer/code monkey. In general in our department, we can work from home 2 days a week.

I have 2 small kids (one with health issues) so I worked out a deal with my boss where I work from home every morning for an hour before they wake up, then take an hour break to help get them started/breakfast/dressed for school before heading into the office and leaving them with the husband to get them out of the house.

It works well for all involved.

Suz,

I work at home and am a single mom also. I am a medical transcriptionist, which sounds like a job you might be qualified for.

My husband left us for his secretary weeks after our second son was born and I was all of a sudden left with no husband, a farm, an infant, and a 2-year-old, and no job. I went to school for three months and learned how to be a medical transcriptionist. I have been working here in my basement ever since.

In December, I was hired by an online university to teach medical transcription courses, as I run a bit of a business now, after five years of this. Online universities look for people who have a master's degree or a PhD to come and teach from home. It's really great. You get benefits and everything!
smile.png

Hope this helps. I certainly know what you are going through. Email me privately if you would like more info.

Holly

Back
Top Bottom