Quail Feed :o

ChickenGirl3

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
het everybody,
I might be able to get quail and I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY EAT!!!!
th.gif

I HEARD THEY WILL EAT ANYTHING BUT THERE ISN'T A SPECIFIC KIND OF FOOD YOU NEED TO GIVE THEM

WILL THEY EAT....

CHICKEN SCRATCH
CHICKEN LAYING FEED?

It's called game bird feed..

Game bird starter for young birds, and game bird grower for older birds.. their needs are different and the chicken feed does not meet their needs at all.!

for our quail we were looking for "GBS" (Game Bird Starter). this should have 28-30% protein.

normal chicken grower has ~20%

chicken layer feed, while great for chickens, has even less ~16% protein.

regarding the quail, I have read and I was told to try to find Purina GBS 30%, if could not find that, FRM (Flint River Mills) makes a 28% GBS, I am using the FRM GBS 28%.

Dumors also makes a chick starter for geese, turkeys, chukars, pheasants, etc. it is 24%- I use this for our younger chickens. but have heard it is acceptable for quail if you cannot find the GBS.

You are looking for the higher grade/higher protein content, get the most bang for your buck. read the labels just like you would your own food.

best of luck!

Yes...Chicken feed is the best feed for chickens!

Quail/pheasant/Game bird feed is for Game Birds.

I use the Purina Mills product. www.purinamills.com, but Nutrina www.nutrina.com/ makes a very good product as well. Both sites have dealer locations on them, so I would start there.

On a side note: Yes quail will eat almost anything, but just because an animal eats something...doesn't mean that it is good for them!!!!

Quote:
The Durmor 24% protein feed that TSC touts as chicken/game bird feed, is nothing more than 24% protein CHICKEN FEED!
Yes...your game birds can live on it, but they may not thrive!

Quote:
Joe, just to let you know, this link takes you to a protein supplement for humans. The site you meant to quote is www.nutrena.com

Thanks my friend!

I'll research the link again.

Back
Top Bottom