** Niacin! **

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
So, a book that I got from the library said to put 2-3 cups of brewers yeast into 10 pounds of chick starter to give the ducklings more niacin (which is needed). I went to the healthfood store today, and they had brewers yeast but it was 20 bucks and my mom want going to pay 20 bucks for 2 cups of brewers yeast. We asked the owner of the store, and she said that they have nutritional yeast and it is actually more nutritious than brewers yeast but is basicly the same thing. Is it ok to mix 2-3 cups of Nutritional yeast with 10 pounds of feed instead of brewers yeast?? thank you!

Why don't you just buy a poultry supplement, since it also have vitamins and minerals besides the niacin. They are so much cheaper and last for a long while.

I got a poultry pak from my feed store and it was around $5.00. It has niacin and other vitiamns but I was told that the start and grow feed has all they need anyway.

2-3 cups into 10 pounds of feed? No way! That was a typo in the book. Try 2-3 Tablespoons into 10 pounds of feed.

I put out 3 cups of feed and mix in a healthy pinch of brewer's yeast, less than 1/4 teaspoon.

I buy a can of Brewer's Yeast at the health food store and just sprinkle a little bit each morning on their food. I don't think you need to use too much. I have seven ducks and a can lasts me a very long time. I don't know I might not be using enough - but it seems to be fine.

You don't need much, but you DO need it. I got some of the brewer's yeast tablets and a pill crusher. I put 1 tablet on their food 1-2 times a day, 2-3 tablets if I have a lot (say 10 or more) ducklings at a time.

Thanks everyone! When at the health food store, we saw the Niacin Capsules that weren't the Flush free kind and they were 20 bucks a bottle! As well as the brewers yeast, so i decided to get Nutritional yeast insetad, and it has worked fine for me so far... and 3 cups of it only costed me 3 bucks!
celebrate.gif

I fed green , cut up grass, as suggested by DH book right fromthe beginnning, and sometimes I grind up Niacin tablets and sprinkle them in my feed bin once a week or two. My ducks have bugs and I let them get to grass or give them something green, that has worked. I couldn't find the yeast or it was ridiculously expensive.....

Back
Top Bottom