Anyone know of Pics of inside of Garden Shed Coops? HELP.. =)

birdygirl123

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Okay Folks, I need some ideas!..

We have a Shed and want to convert half of it to a coup. Here is what we have done so far:

Before: Run not finished yet.. We will have chicken wire on the top. about 3 foot higher with netted top You can also see barn before here too. Fence posts are now black and cut to 4' 3"..
86513_run.jpg

After:
86513_outside.jpg

Now the inside:..
86513_chickencoop.jpg

We have the door cut out as you can see in the after pic. I do not want to use the whole shed. Does anyone have any pictures of how they set theirs up?..What would you do?.. All suggestions welcomed..
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Nice barn!
You've never had chickens before? Trust me, use the entire barn. Chicken math will get you every time.
wink.png

Ok, where are you located? Gets cold there, I take it? Looks like mountains (beautiful area, BTW). Lots of snow in winter? If so, trust me when I say you might not always feel like going out to shovel out the run for your chickens, so the more interior floor space you have for them, the better.
You already have the chicken door, so that's good. Are you going to insulate? I would suggest so, IMHO. Keeps the humidity & dampness down, both of which are bad for poultry. Cover the insulation with plywood, strandboard, tileboard, panelling, whatever you prefer. Chickens aren't pickey.
How many birds do you plan on having? That # will grow, believe me.
big_smile.png

You will need nest boxes, one per 4-5 hens, I think? They are mounted to the wall usually. And you will need a roost for them to sleep on. Also usually mounted to the wall. An old wood ladder works too. Chickens aren't fussy. I also have a thermometer on the wall so I know the temp. in the coop.
I see you have at least one window. That is good; chickens need adequate ventilation. An exhaust fan would be a good thing to have. Do you have electric in the barn?
I shall look for links to pics so you can get some better ideas, but what you have so far looks wonderful.

Thank you so much for helping! and for your wonderful comments..
hugs.gif
.. I have looked, but I've had some trouble. To answer some of your questions: We just relocated. I had a flock of Buff Orps, and Comets. I already had a Coop, so everything was already in place for us. The barn its self is divided into two sections. I'm not sure if you can see that in the pictures, but the other side I am going to use for pony parties and such.

We are located outside of Reno Nevada.. It does get cold, but not like the East Coast.. It's pretty dry here, but I will bring up the idea of insulating it. I know we have extra so why not right?..lol

Right now, we have 8, and 3 ducks. The ducks will have their own run on the other side, so we won’t worry about them right now. I do plan on getting more chickens. The shed its self is 12 x 8 I do believe. I would like to keep the front 6 foot avail for my Brooder and equipment. So that I can leave the door open in the summer.. The run in its self is 12x24.. Hmm so maybe I should figure out what my max will be..

Yes there is electric

I was thinking of maybe having a window that was covered in chicken wire on the run side of the building.. that had a door, or another barn panel that we could slide down in the winter. In the winter time, of course, I am going to want to keep the big door shut.

Both barns are setting on a concrete pad as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned that part or not..
smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
Patandchickens had a good idea that I plan to implement re building a moveable wall, so you can adjust chicken space vs storage as needed. Basically, frame out the wall and door in sections using 2x4s, then attach the sections together and to the sheds wall/roof framing with heavy duty hook & eyes. If you position the hook and eyes properly, they should hold things tight but then if you want to move it, you can just pop the hooks, relocate your eyes, and reassemble. I like the idea because it means I don't have to commit to a coop size just yet. Plus, it lets me have a smaller interior door for daily access (don't have to worry about leaving as much room for swing clearance) but if I want/need to I can remove a section or even the whole wall for good cleaning access.

Hey!.. that is a great idea!!.. I tried googling that, but couldnt find anything. Do you have a link where you saw it? I'm such a picture person..
smile.png
Thank you again for helping..
frow.gif

Quote:
Patandchickens had a good idea that I plan to implement re building a moveable wall, so you can adjust chicken space vs storage as needed. Basically, frame out the wall and door in sections using 2x4s, then attach the sections together and to the sheds wall/roof framing with heavy duty hook & eyes. If you position the hook and eyes properly, they should hold things tight but then if you want to move it, you can just pop the hooks, relocate your eyes, and reassemble. I like the idea because it means I don't have to commit to a coop size just yet. Plus, it lets me have a smaller interior door for daily access (don't have to worry about leaving as much room for swing clearance) but if I want/need to I can remove a section or even the whole wall for good cleaning access.

Quote:
I didn't actually see it, I was just trying to figure out how I was going to do my interior layout, and it was a suggestion she posted in response. I have a picture of exactly how I'll do it in my head... but that doesn't really help you.
smile.png
BUT, when I get to that point, and I'm getting close, I can post some pics, if you don't get there first. I've actually taken pics as I've built the coop/shed, just haven't posted anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom