Markers on eggs?

Cuqui18

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Concord, Ma
seeing as eggs have pores...if you mark an egg with marker, doesnt that mean the chemical from the ink can get into the egg and be hazardous?? just wondering...

I use a regular pencil only. It will not go through a pore like a permanent marker does. I've seen permanent markers being used without any issues. I'm just used to using the pencil so I don't even bother with anything else.

I only use pencil. However, when I got my Sumatra eggs back in 2008--they were all marked in Sharpie. I kind of freaked out but had an excellent hatch.
lol.png

Naw. I use whatever I have on hand. I used to be super careful and use pencil only, but we had to use marker on quail eggs in order to see, and had excellent hatches. So then I started using it on duck eggs, and ditto. Never had a problem. I think the chemicals mostly evaporate as soon as the ink dries, and there's really not anything to be absorbed by the egg. But if you don't need to use marker and are more comfortable with pencil, then stick with what seems right to you.
smile.png

I have read that permanent markers can kill the embryo. I just use a pencil to be safe but my neighbor uses crayons because she can see it better and it's different colors. I have had sharpie eggs hatch fine though before knowing it could be bad.

Many use sharpies without a problem. I think next time I use a sharpie on a washed (se the bloom will be gone on top of that), cracked open egg I used for breakfast. That way I can see how far it goes, but quite honest I think it does not penetrate the shell at all. Perhaps the solvent is an issue, but it evaporates to fast to really get any further as well. I'm not an advocate for crayons, but then we sometimes patch eggs with wax and they still make it. I stick to what I have been using the good old pencil. They do come in colors too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom