What to do with extra roos in straight run orders?

southernsibe

Songster
12 Years
Jun 15, 2007
kensington, maryland
I am curious as to what people do when they order straight run and get more roosters then desired. I realize this isn't really a problem if they are for consumption, but what if they are going to be yard birds and the hen to roo ratio will be too high? Do people cull as soon as they can tell what is roo and hen?

Thanks
Rachel

Depends.. some don't care and keep them, some sell them, sell eat them, other re-home them, the list goes on a on...

I sell them on craigslist a lot, since I don't care what the buyer does with them.

We will probably eat most of them. Any super nice and pretty boys may get a chance to live with the girls.

I am trying to find good homes for them but nobody really seems to want them even for free, so we will cull and eat them in the next few weeks. They are only 8 weeks old right now and not very meaty.

Truefully, culling and eating them is my next best choice after rehoming/selling, which is not going very well. I have only gotten homes for a few of them. Although I took 4 roo's back to the feed store where I got them and asked the lady there if she had any ideas, she said no, but then someone came in that wanted them, and they went home with them! That was great, so I have officially rehomeed six. The biggest problem with eating is that they are bantams, so all the work, with a pay off of, what, four ounces of meat?

Rachel

Drive by a nearby farm, open the door and quickly give them the boot!!! I'm serious, people have told me they do that!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom