Wild baby bird under a broody hen?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
First off, let me say that i do NOT plan on raising a baby bird! We just got back from camping and my neighbor came running over with a baby bird. He said he found it in his driveway the other day and he's had it in his house for a few days trying to keep it alive. He said he sees no nest and his cat will get the bird if he puts it back on his driveway (where it was found). I can take it to a wildlife rescue on my way to work in the morning....which I plan on doing. I have a hen that is broody about 350 days out of the year so I thought....hmmm...I wonder what would happen if I put the baby under her. so I did and she took it right under her.

Now I'm freaking out and am wondering if my chicken can get a disease from the baby bird. should I go take it from her? What do I do with it? Just put it in a box with some tissue? HELP!

not sure about transmitting anything, but wild birds feed their young whereas hens just show the chicks where to get it....I would think it would starve
hu.gif

CRAP. That's what I figured. I don't have a dropper or anything to feed it with. UGH. I hate this cause I wish he had just left it where it was. I'm surprised it's still alive since he's had it for a few days. If there are no worries about it transmitting some kind of disease, I would feel better just leaving it under the hen since she accepted it....at least that way the baby bird will have warmth. I need to figure out a way to get some food in its crop to hopefully help it survive through the night.
sad.png

Quote:
unfortunately true....go for the wildlife rehab

I can't get it there till 8:30 tomorrow morning. I'm just hoping it survives through the night.

Quote:
Ok. I'll just put it in a box. Should I put a heat lamp over it?

Is it feathered? If it's fully feathered, it may not need the heat and perhaps was trying to fledge?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom