Tomaru Longcrower - 8+ hatching eggs - hatchery stock

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
These birds are just so pretty...and you sure can't beat that beautiful crow! I have a trio from Sandhill Preservation, and I keep this trio just for fun. The longer I have them, though, the more they are growing on me. They seem intelligent and are very inquisitive. I recently saw one of the pullets pondering how to get away from the cockerel, and she figured out that if she BACKED into a corner, she would not be leaving herself an "easy target" so to speak. I know it sounds crazy and I may be anthropomortizing a bit, but it sure looked that way, after he chased & chased her, and then she stood looking at the corner & cocking her head to the side...

Tomarucockandpullet6-15-11.jpg

Anyway, I make absolutely no claims as to their correctness in type - again, I have these merely for their beauty and the pretty crow. I do not have a good crow on video yet...though I am trying! Only about 1 out of every 15 crows is nice & long. The rest, though long, just do not do justice to the breed, and I understand that it's typical for them to not crow super long each and every time.

THIS IS A PAYPAL ONLY AUCTION. Payment is due by 10:00 a.m. Eastern time the day following the auction (Tuesday, 7/28). Eggs will be shipped out by noon on 7/28.

I have sent out 3 test egg shipments, and all have had good hatchability; however, I make no guarantees once the eggs leave our farm.

Thanks for looking!

I looked up a video on youtube - these are soooo cool. I would love to get them, but I believe my husband would kill me. I must say, on the video it sounds more like a howling dog that a rooster, maybe nobody would notice
lol.png

faykoko - I think more than likely most folks are not too interested in a rooster that crows longer than most, but I find the crow beautiful and almost mesmerizing!

Ok, I'm still curious, what else can you tell me about these guys. I'm guessing white eggs? Do they come in different colors? Do they tolerate cold? Are they ok in a pen or do they need to free range?

Quote:
faykoko - they lay white eggs, I would guess medium in size (I haven't weighed any), and they lay quite well - better than I anticipated anyway - I am getting 4-5 per week from each. The white egg in my avatar is from one of the Tomaru pullets. They are supposed to be solid black, but I have seen some pictures of ones that are black with silver on them. This is my first year with them, but I did raise them up from about 4 weeks in my barn (with a heat lamp of course) and they did just fine. They bear confiment well - once they were weaned from the heat lamp, I raised them up to 18 weeks in a breeder cage which is 4' x 3' with a roost and nest box. The three of them did just fine in the breeder cage. I would move them to a horse stall, however, for the day each morning around 6 a.m. and then back to their breeder cage at about 6 p.m., just to allow them more room to stretch their legs/wings during the day.

They are now housed in a small run & coop - the coop is probably 4'x4' with a roost and I use a rubber feed pan for a nest box on the floor, which they are fine with and began using immediately. Their coop is up on stilts (it's actually the "L" portion of my "L" shaped layer pen coop - I separated it with chicken wire inside) so they can get out from the sun or elements, and the little run we built onto it is probably 5' wide by 10' long. So, they don't have nearly as much room as I wish they did, but they seem to enjoy their little area and do not seem unhappy to me.

Temperament - mine are very friendly, but that could be due to all the handling I did with them in moving them twice daily as they were growing up. I've had absolutely no issues with the male whatsoever - he gets annoyed when I handle the gals, but has never even attempted to step toward me when I'm doing so, much less try to get aggressive in any way. My husband, who is not a chicken person, said the other day, "Boy, is THAT rooster ever pretty!" I was shocked, as he rarely if ever has said a word about any of the chickens! He knew I had a Longcrower but didn't even know which one it was...when I told him that male was the Longcrower, he smiled...he thinks the long crow is hilarious, and "hopes" the neighbors are annoyed each time they hear it! HA!

Here are a few more pics:

DSC02486.jpg

If you are wondering if they go broody....

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

Oh my goodness, Wynette! I went to videos for these, and they sound so cool. Kinda like great big coyotes...or with an imagination, wolves. hehe Sure are pretty.
bethanyrae

I hatched some of these out for a friend. 6 chicks hatched out of 10 eggs!!! and all but 1 made it to lock down. AWESOME fertility and packing!

And not sure it it is 100% good but almost - they ALL look like girls so far, though they are young yet. I would post pics but am out of the country.

Back
Top Bottom