How would you know if your Muscovy is a Mule?

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
I bought 2 Muscovy ducklings a few weeks ago...and I was just reading that the "mule" ducks only live about a year? How can you tell what you got?What are the differences?

from what I was told....Muscovies are a totally different breed of duck not at all related to the mallard which is what most ducks are in some way or another related to from generations...and if any duck breeds with a muscovy the off spring will be "Mules"...now with that being said, my friend has lots of mules she found out the hard way,,,and they have been around for years she says ,but just pets and she keep their eggs for eating only so they will not try to incubate them...when a hen tries to set she switches out the eggs for muscovy eggs so she will not set in vain. oh and how can you tell...well I don't know that part. sorry.
wink.png

Last edited:
You can't always tell by looking at them. Well sometimes you can tell you obviously have a mix.

To put it simply Muscovies are Muscovies not ducks. They are the only one in the Muscovy species.
When crossed with ducks they will be Mules or Hinnies, depending on how they are crossed.

Resulting males will be sterile.
Females - Mules will not lay eggs
Hinnies will lay infertile eggs

More than likely people put the one year life span on them because it took them that long to figure out there were no eggs or were no fertile eggs. Then of course they were used for their intended purpose. Meat.

Hope that helps.

Muscovies are Muscovies not ducks.

If they're not ducks, what are they? Does that mean only mallard derivatives are ducks?

Clint

Quote:
Muscovies are one type of duck and Mallards (and Mallard derivatives) are another type. But they are completely different species, like humans and chimps, or crocodiles and alligators, or horses and donkeys. I think this is what Buttercup was trying to get at.

Quote:
I knew they were their own species. But I hadn't heard of the Mule factor...sheesh...I hope I got true scovies! I was hoping there was a way to tell visually? But of course,as with all things poultry,it's a waiting game
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom