Coop styles for small yards

swmalone

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Northern Utah
I built a chicken ark for my 3 hens. I live on 1/5th and acre with about half in the back mostly fenced in. I am just looking for pictures and ideas of coops that people with small yards and small flocks have built. I don't intend to ever have more than 5 hens in my yard at a time, but I may build something more permanent, but most of my space is garden, sheds, greenhouse, yards, and a large brick patio, so for now the tractor works well. I would love to see pictures.

98212_sany0383.jpg

We built the same coop and like it for what it is. For winter, we might add some clear plastic siding to some of the open areas to keep them dry, or move the ark onto our patio if it gets too wet. We're also planning a PVC tractor for silkies to be made sometime soon.

I built something similar but lighter without the sides for my arc too as I have a small yard and can't have them totally free range. I have 4 hens so my coop is only 20 SF. Please check out my blog for more info on my coop and arc. I built both for around $350. Good luck.

I am going to try to move the ark into a somewhat sheltered spot between my house and the fence in the winter. I will probably cover at least one side of the run with a tarp to help keep the wind and snow from building up under there. We typically end up with a few feet of snow each year, so it should be an interesting experience.

Back
Top Bottom