candler

swiftfoot

Songster
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
Blountville , TN
i tried making a homemade candler but it doesnt function like i would like it to
i was wondering what type of candler you guys use and the pros and cons about it aslo add what kind of eggs you are candling

I'll tell you how I made mine, and I love it. I had a regular light bulb base, you'll need one that sets flat, something like you would mount to a wall. Can get it at any hardware store. Then I took a 3lb metal coffee can, and put my light base in there, with a 75 watt bulb. (Make sure your light base is small enough to fit in your can!). Then, I cut a small slit in the plastic lid of the can for the cord to come out of. I cut a double thickness of black construction paper and taped it to the inside of the clear plastic lid. Now I cut a small hole in the center of the lid for the egg. I then took black electrical tape and covered the whole lid and top of can with it, except for the hole. Place egg, turn on light and your good to go.

I candle white eggs, brown eggs and EE eggs. The EEs are the toughest to see, but once you get to day 10 or so you can see them just fine.

Thanks for sharing that, yotetrapper!
hugs.gif

We are raising EE's and even our big MagLite doesn't help much so I'm gonna borrow your idea. I like that it keeps both hands free as I'm always afraid I'm gonna drop an egg while trying to candle them.

Dawn

frow.gif
My husband bought me a small LED flashlight, I go in the pantry, shut the door, turn out the light, and .....the show begins!
It works really well for me.

Back
Top Bottom