Do RiR hen's have eggs earlier than other breeds

The average for most breeds is 20-25 weeks. My RIR are still too young, but I just read on here that someones RIRs layed at 6 months. So, that's in the average range.

I have 3 RIRs, about 21 weeks old, and 2 are laying. One started this week, not sure about the other one since we just got them last weekend and it's possible she was already laying (he had 50 RIRs and didn't know which ones were laying - he was getting about a dozen eggs per day). We got an egg from one of them 2 days after we got them so I have no idea if that was her first egg or if there was just a 2 day break while she adjusted to the new home.

It depends on if you're talking hatchery RIRs or breeder type deep dark RIRs. The breeder types seem to take longer to mature. The hatchery types don't lay any earlier than the usual common hatchery breeds like the BRs and Buff Orps.

How about feed stores like farmer feed supply in gilroy do the chicks who turn into pullest. Do their pullets make eggs earlier like ours

Last edited:
Emron's chicken's :

How about feed stores like farmer feed supply in gilroy do the chicks who turn into pullest. Do their pullets make eggs earlier like ours

I dont understand what you mean. A pullet is a hen who is under a year old. Feed stores get their chicks from a hatchery or a local person. You'd have to ask where they get their chicks. You're not talking about breeder stock if you mean a feed store.​

I got mine as chicks from a hatchery. Does this mean they will "mature faster" and lay eggs sooner or are you only talking about pullets from a hatchery?

i have 15 rhode island reds and are 20 wks old and they are starting to get nice sized red combs, but no eggs yet. i have a buff orpington who is maturing faster than my rhode island reds, so it just depends on the chicken, some mature fatser than others. it doesn't matter on the breed, just on how old it is and the bird.and i have seen some rhode island red that didn't mature and lay eggs until it was almost a year old. and i've had jersey giants who started laying about 5-6 months old and be fully mature.

Back
Top Bottom