**Losing feathers....**

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Ok so I went out to my big girls mansion (
lol.png
) to collect the eggs when I find to my surprise alot of flight feathers and tail feathers looked to be pulled out and just sitting below roosts. Now I know none of my girls are molting but I did check my white Ameracuana (Cindy) and found that she had lost a few tail feathers.
idunno.gif

I dont think that its anything to do with the pecking order because my barred rock (Henrietta) is missing a few flight feathers (she is like second in the pecking order). While Cindy is second to last on the pecking order.
hmm.png
I dont know do you think something could be pulling them out at night when their roosting? Their house is closed in....
hu.gif

Any thoughts on what it might be??
hmm.png

Last year I raised 9 roosters, not by choice....and this year I have 16 pullets and 3 roos....I have more feathers than I can believe now!

They are everywhere...I posed this question also...no real answers. So I think pullets may lose them more often?

None of mine fight, so that can be my only answer...they all look great, full feathers, beautiful...so there you go!

D.gif

I have feather loss but mine aren't laying yet. I did find a link somewhere and I think that mine are in a juvenile molt. They are 14 weeks old right now. No mites/bugs/anything to be seen and everyone is happy, eating and "honking" away! LOL

I did just find this and I hope this helps......

First moult –
when down is replaced by the first juvenile plumage occurring at 6-8 days and ending at 4 weeks.
Second moult –
when the first juvenile plumage is replaced by the second juvenile plumage. This occurs over a number of weeks starting between 7 and 12 weeks of age.
Third moult –
occurs in the hen at 16 to 18 months. This is the 'moult' of most importance for producers.

Thanks everyone for your replys!! I think that must be what mine are going through and no they havent started laying yet....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom