Any remedys to stop egg eating?????

There are lots of threads on here on egg eating, you can try and put mustard in an egg
thumbsup.gif

I am 75 years old and the only thread that I am familiar with is the type you sew. Ha Ha
I will try mustard or wasabi or something else. Do chickens have a sense of smell????

haha, it is alot easier to ask than search through a ton of stuff, usually not even related to the topic! i read one that blew out the egg innrds and filled it with something like mustard, hope it works and they don't develope a fondness for mustard....I tried hot halapenoes with a dog I had, he loved it mouth frothing just kept licking it up:p

We put golf balls in the nesting boxes and the coop floor. Within a few days, there were no more cracked eggs....

We tried everything to stop our egg eater. Then we tried a mustard hot sauce mix...they have never touched an egg again. haha they wont even eat a shell that gets broken now.

We took our egg eater out of the coop and put her in a wire cage. Our plan was to get rid of her after she ate her eggs 2 days in a row. Her saving grace is that she didn't eat it today. I have noticed at night with 23 hens on the roost she has a roost all to herself. The day after we took her out the 2nd leghorn and one of the comets started to lay. So in total we are getting 4 eggs from 4 laying hens. I would say first off make sure she in the one that is eating the eggs. Then seperate her from the rest to see if she continues to eat them. Maybe time for a freezer nap? I haven't decided what to do with mine all I know is she not happy in that cage while the others run free around her and she lets me know when I walk by. Doeboy

Franks Red hot sauce works really well. You blow some of the egg white and yoke out. Use a syringe and inject some franks red hot sauce into the egg and then roll it in some franks red hot sauce. The serve it to them in there nesting box. It may take a couple of attempts but it does work awsome. I stopped 17 laying hens from eating there eggs this way.
smile.png

chilli won't work on birds
lau.gif

the reason chillies developed their characteristic heat was to stop animals other than birds eating them. We can taste the extreme heat (as can other mammals, marsupials etc.) but birds can't taste it at all
smile.png
This is because it is much better for the chili to be eaten by a bird as it guarantees the seeds are taken far away from the parent plant and dropped in their own little pile of fertiliser
tongue.png
I dont' know if they can taste mustard
hu.gif

good luck!

good sharp hatchet. Never fails.

Other two options are these:

1. Collect eggs more often, get to know the gals and laying schedules.

2. Install a nesting box with some good slope to it so the eggs roll back under a board and into a safe zone.

Be sure your chickens are getting enough calcium and protein from your feeding program.

Back
Top Bottom