"What color egg" and "Shouldn't she be laying already?"

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
Ok, this is chocolate. She is an Easter Egger who was the prettiest chocolate colored chick. I just noticed her ear color tonight. It appears white. Does that mean her egg is likely to be white? Or does her ear color mean nothing?
29942_img_2880_choc.jpg
29942_img_3111_byc_chocolate.jpg

Sorry, my keyboard ran out of batteries! This is Annie. She looks like she should be laying!!! Right?
29942_img_3128_byc_annie.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my first egg today from a white-eared EE and it's a pretty green (you can see it on the egg countdown thread). She was born a week plus a couple days prior to Easter so that makes her ~23 weeks, I think?

Last edited:
Ear color means very little with Easter Eggers, as some white eared ones may actually lay blue or green eggs.

Now, for other cases outside the blue layers world, white earlobes usually do mean white eggs.

Quote:
Yep.. I know.. I've had brown/blue/green & olive eggs from my EEs in the past. Just never saw one with a white ear.

You have me confused.
The chicken on the bottom is not the same one as in the other pictures.

You are right.. my keyboard ran out of batteries and the only thing I could do at the time was to add the photo. Good eye!
big_smile.png

Agree with earlobe color meaning nothing with EEs, and so far as laying age, both are still at least a couple or so weeks away. Their combs should redden and the first big girl should develop some red wattles too.
wink.png

Our EE's will be 26 weeks tomorrow. I got a good "squat" and "fluff" from one of our girls this evening, so I am hoping that maybe by the weekend we will have an egg from her. When I bought these chicks, I thought I was hoping for a blue egg, but after reading all these posts, I am really hoping for an "olive" egg. Regardless, I love my girls, the eggs are amazing, and life is good!

Back
Top Bottom