Confused about antibiotics for Bumblefoot (UPDATE photos added 10/20)

AMC in the OV

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Orangevale, CA
I am new to chicken ownership and discovered that one of my Rhode Island Reds has bumblefoot. After reading a ton of information about it on this forum, I was able to do some chicken foot surgery on her last week. That went well, but I am now confused about whether to use antibiotics. Some posts say to not use them, others say to only use injectable, while others say to put them in the drinking water. Also found the discussions about pros and cons of different antiobiotics to be confusing - Baytril vs. Penicillin, etc.

Is there a definitive source I should consult, or some expert I could call to ask about whether to use antibiotics or not? And if so, what type and how I should administer?? I am actually more nervous about the drugs than I was about the surgery. I keep reading everything I can find related to Bumblefoot in Chickens and it gets overwhelming with all the conflicting information on how to treat it.

Affected Chicken Details:
Nugget, a Rhode Island Red
Left foot, small scab on bottom and large bubble between toes - cutting from the top, I was able to extract a decent sized plug. Used vetwrap, gauze and neosporin. One week later the foot is still swollen and warm. I pulled off the scab today but when I tried to get out more infection, the blood seemed thick and wound did not bleed freely.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of her foot now?

I used PennG which worked great for my hen. I also think more people use PennG for bumblefoot.

Is she acting sick? I know some people dont even give them anitibotics after surgery, but i think it is better too.
smile.png

I will take a picture tonight and post it tomorrow. She is not acting sick but she was limping prior to the surgery.
I did go back and read the articles on giving injections, and using penicillin on chickens so I am more comfortable with the idea now. But I still have not bought the stuff yet. Probably this weekend. Thanks, BYC forum!!! Great information. I like how this is the "GO TO" place for chicken help online.
smile.png

Here's some photos I took this morning, 10/20/11. She has scabs on both feet but I am currently only treating the swollen one. Treatment involves soaking with epsom salts, picking at scab to remove staph, then applying neosporin, gauze and vetrap. I will buy penicillin this weekend.
109654_102011_nuggets_bumblefoot_011.jpg

I am concerned because the affected footpad is still very large, swollen and hard, but the scab is tiny. I was unable to pull any stuff from it today but I think there are some staph plugs there in the footpad. Questions.....

1. HOW agressive should I be with incisions in the foot pad? Trying to pull stuff out through the existing scab/hole is not working. Do I need to cut into other NEW areas of the footpad?
109654_102011_nuggets_bumblefoot_013.jpg

2. Last week on 10/11/11 we began treatment. I had to cut in from the top of the foot, between each toe, to relieve swelling and remove staph. If those areas remain swollen, do I re-open the same wounds to check for staph?
109654_102011_nuggets_bumblefoot_021.jpg

Thanks, and please let me know.
Ann-Marie

Back
Top Bottom