Keeping the hens warm???

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
This is our first snowfall of this year, and the first time that the girls have seen snow, and they are terrified of it! So i have put them in the coop, they seem cold. The coop is fully insulated, but I still feel bad. Do any ofouse is not an option as m mom thinks they poop too much you BYCers have any ideas to keep them warm? Bringing them in the house is not an option because my mom thinks they poop too much.

Quote:
They do poop too much.
lol.png
Mom is right.

You don't say where you are, but mostly an insulated coop, if it is dry and draft free is enough protection. Chickens can survive very cold temperatures. Well, depending on the breed, humidity, wetness, ventilation, location etc.
Supplemental heating is an option, but you should probably talk to mom.

Good luck,

Imp

We live in North New Jersey, We did get hardy breeds (SLW, RIR, Speckled Sussex) so i suppose you are right... Im worry too much!!

Quote:
Yeah listen to the MOM knows best when you want them inside, a big no no, it's just plain nasty. just because you feel bad for them doen't equate to them being cold, your coop description sounds plenty good for them. Try not to over think and worry too much they will be fine, if they need more of anything they will show/tell you by more intense way's. good luck.

Supposedly they will huddle up and their feathers will keep them warm. This is my first winter with chickens too.
smile.png
If it makes you feel better, you could put a heat lamp in the coop with them. I will be using a thermocube, which is a thermostat that plugs into the extension cord and will only kick on the heat when the temp falls to a certain degree and then shut off at a certain degree. Just make sure it is fireproof and won't heat the coop too much and overheat the chickens. Good luck!

I will never have a heat lamp in my coop again. Last winter one of my hens knocked it down and started a fire.
hit.gif
Luckily I caught it before it got too big and no chickens were injured but it scared me silly.

It's best not to provide heat. If you do they won't grow a proper winter coat and fat layer and in the event there's no heat for some reason, they will not be able to cope as well as if they had grown into it gradually.

Im from NJ too . And our chickens love the cold it seems they like all the things you would worry about . Like snow , cold and rain .
They were out today during the heaviest snowfall and their backs were covered with snow and they didnt seem to mind it . I finally thought they didnt know what was going on and put them inside the run and lock them up . Our run is covered on three sides . They stay outside all night !! Now thats some crazy chickens !!

Last edited:
I've read a lot about frost bite and if it's that cold, I sure wouldn't want to be out there. So, I attached a 75 watt light bulb to the top corner of the coop and have it on a timer. Problem is, I'm scared to leave it on all night because I'm afraid it will get too hot in there. My coop is only 16 sq. feet w/normally 4 chickens. Unfortunately, right now I'm sitting with my daughter's 8 chickens. That's too many for the coop size, I know, but I'm sure with all the body heat in there, having that light bulb on at night is going to be way too much. It's supposed to get down into the mid 20's tonight. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom