----Nugget's Stories--------

littlecreekfarm

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Virginia
Here is my book series on my chicken Nugget. She is a black australorp pullet and i absolutely love her! She may seem like a regular old chicken to most people, but she's not, she's different........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
This Story is Wrote by me and no one can copy it.
Copyright
00a9.png
Erin(littlecreekfarm)

If you'd like to know all about Nugget see a bunch of pics of her click on this link to her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=579862
Nugget's
Blog on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=94270-nugget
I
will try to add a chapter every week or so. So please enjoy!

Chapter 1: Chick Days

March 11, 2011…….the incubators at Mt. Healthy Hatcheries are filled with dozens of eggs from chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, quail and pheasants….just waiting for the hatch date. At last it finally happens, the eggs start peeping and cracking and in a few days hundreds of chicks have hatched! Orders are placed for chicks from farmers, stores and enthusiast. The chicks will go to Farms for eggs or meat, feed stores for selling, and enthusiast for backyards and shows. The rough days of shipping are tough on these chicks. But they finally arrive at the post office were farmers, employees, and families will come to pick up their chicks. The buyers settle their chicks in and begin planning for when they are older, prices for them, and just which ones to train.
March 14, 2011…. About a hundred or more chicks are settled in big tubs with food and water at our Southern States . They have figured the prices and are now selling the chicks. I walk in to take a look with my family and it was so tempting to buy. My mother gave in and we got six chicks free because we bought a bag of feed. We settled our chicks into their new home. We had two of each breed and they were all pullets, Golden laced Wyandotte, buff orpingtons, and my favorite, Black australorps. They were named Hokie, Morgan, Tinker Belle, Awesome , Alice, and Nugget. I fell in love with Nugget as soon as I saw her. She was the cutest thing ever!
I played with Nugget everyday and she soon became calm and loving…….and thinking I was her ‘mom’! Chick days were pleasant and sweet. The chicks were so sleepy the first days of life. They would stand under the heat lamp and slowly fall down head first into a sweet little nap.

I had become very attached to all the chicks. Nugget being my favorite of course. I will never forget the first few chick days. \\

CHAPTER 2

Chapter 2: Good Times

Most poultry men know that the chick times or good times do not last long. You can actually watch them grow! Though all times are good with chickens, the best are chick days! At that time I had no idea what I was getting myself into! I already owned 14 laying hens and just added the six chicks. But I had a reason for this, I wanted to be a farmer, and there are not too many girls who dream of farming. Most don’t even think about it! So therefore it was difficult for me to make friends. But I had one thing in mind and that was “When you need a friend, get a chicken” and I now have twenty in my own backyard!

When our chicks were about a week old I had heard loud peeping coming from the brooder and went to check o them and one chick was missing! Awesome, a buff orpington had jumped out of the brooder and was now peeping around the floor! I talked about Nugget all the time, most people didn’t care about what I said but to me she was my life! I spent endless times with Nugget, but It all went by so quick.

I cared for my chicks everyday and spent the most of my free time with Nugget. She was a dream come true.
I loved hearing the sweet little peeping and chirping the chicks made. Their warm bodies and there need to be close to you warmed my heart. And most of the time I wonder, “what would I do without my chickens?”……..I don’t even want to know!

CHAPTER 3 WILL BE UP THIS WEEKEND......................

Nugget's Pic(note: this is not a recent pic, this was taken a couple of months ago)
94270_chickens_037.jpg

You can see all of Nugget's pics on her thread or blog.

Thanks and enjoy my book series
smile.png

-Erin & Nugget

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Chick Days

March 11, 2011…….the incubators at Mt. Healthy Hatcheries are filled with dozens of eggs from chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, quail and pheasants….just waiting for the hatch date. At last it finally happens, the eggs start peeping and cracking and in a few days hundreds of chicks have hatched! Orders are placed for chicks from farmers, stores and enthusiast. The chicks will go to Farms for eggs or meat, feed stores for selling, and enthusiast for backyards and shows. The rough days of shipping are tough on these chicks. But they finally arrive at the post office were farmers, employees, and families will come to pick up their chicks. The buyers settle their chicks in and begin planning for when they are older, prices for them, and just which ones to train.
March 14, 2011…. About a hundred or more chicks are settled in big tubs with food and water at our Southern States . They have figured the prices and are now selling the chicks. I walk in to take a look with my family and it was so tempting to buy. My mother gave in and we got six chicks free because we bought a bag of feed. We settled our chicks into their new home. We had two of each breed and they were all pullets, Golden laced Wyandotte, buff orpingtons, and my favorite, Black australorps. They were named Hokie, Morgan, Tinker Belle, Awesome , Alice, and Nugget. I fell in love with Nugget as soon as I saw her. She was the cutest thing ever!
I played with Nugget everyday and she soon became calm and loving…….and thinking I was her ‘mom’! Chick days were pleasant and sweet. The chicks were so sleepy the first days of life. They would stand under the heat lamp and slowly fall down head first into a sweet little nap.

I had become very attached to all the chicks. Nugget being my favorite of course. I will never forget the first few chick days. \\

CHAPTER 2 COMING SOON.......................

94270_erins2011sccard_014.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Good Times

Most poultry men know that the chick times or good times do not last long. You can actually watch them grow! Though all times are good with chickens, the best are chick days! At that time I had no idea what I was getting myself into! I already owned 14 laying hens and just added the six chicks. But I had a reason for this, I wanted to be a farmer, and there are not too many girls who dream of farming. Most don’t even think about it! So therefore it was difficult for me to make friends. But I had one thing in mind and that was “When you need a friend, get a chicken” and I now have twenty in my own backyard!

When our chicks were about a week old I had heard loud peeping coming from the brooder and went to check o them and one chick was missing! Awesome, a buff orpington had jumped out of the brooder and was now peeping around the floor! I talked about Nugget all the time, most people didn’t care about what I said but to me she was my life! I spent endless times with Nugget, but It all went by so quick.

I cared for my chicks everyday and spent the most of my free time with Nugget. She was a dream come true.
I loved hearing the sweet little peeping and chirping the chicks made. Their warm bodies and there need to be close to you warmed my heart. And most of the time I wonder, “what would I do without my chickens?”……..I don’t even want to know!

94270_erins_178.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Growth spurt!

After about two-weeks the chicks had a growth spurt and their size went up and they began growing feather here and there. I have now decreased the tempeture by 10°F. Nugget is coming along well. She is the calmest of all our chicks. And I had to show favoritism towards her. She would climb up my chest and snuggle on my shoulder. Peeping to keep in touch with me. I would read while she snuggled, do my schoolwork since I’m homeschooled, study on chickens, and of course just spend time with her. I Couldn’t believe what I had gotten into! Chickens had become my hobby. I would have never guessed that chickens could be this amazing!
Feathers were coming in here and there…they were all growing so fast. I had no clue what I had gotten myself into! But in about 6 months…..Nugget would be more than just a chicken, she would be more amazing than I expected, she would be famous…………

94270_dsc_0064_3.jpg

Chapter 4: Moving On with Life

Well the chicks began growing up and at 4 weeks they went outside for the first time….I could only imagine what they were thinking! Dustbathing, Sunbathing, scratching, pecking and all!
At 6 weeks they moved to their new outdoor home! What we call the Townhouse. It has a house upstairs with a perch and nesting box, an outdoor run and it was very cute! I took Nugget on a walk in the sheep pasture which is more like a meadow. We had amazing adventures in that meadow. We found turtles, bugs, and we hid from hawks and vultures and tunneled through the lush, tall, grass.
Early every morning, I woke up and grabbed my bike and Nugget and we would do the other Farm chores. We fed the show-lambs, and checked the laying hens. We let them out of their pen and fed them and made sure that they had water.
Soon, they were allowed to free-range. Nugget enjoyed laying in the sun and playing with her friends. I had to leave Nugget for the first time in my life!!! I went to a livestock competition and the chicks stayed home while a family member took care of them…..boy was I excited to see her again! I was becoming very attached to Nugget……………..

94270_erins2011sccard_275.jpg

94270_erins2011sccard_278.jpg

Chillin' in the bike!

Back
Top Bottom