pics of what I discovered when I opened my 25 day egg

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
This is a little graphic but I'm really hoping the more experienced hatchers can tell me what may have gone wrong. This was my first attempt to hatch.

This was a welsummer egg originally set 3 but 2 broke) I bought on eggbid & put under my determined broody buff orp.
Candling was difficult because the egg was so dark, but I thought all along it looked good.
Day 21 was Wednesday, my broody never left the nest unless I took her off, and she'd only drink a little, eat a little sometimes take a turbo dust bath & get right back. I don't think there was one day she was off the nest for more than 15 minutes. The last few days under advice from someone here I stopped taking her off.
So anyway, I'm heartbroken mostly because I think my girl really would have been a great Mommy and here are the pics, please if you can tell me what may have gone wrong. To my inexperienced eye it looks like a chick that should have hatched on day 21
47b8d829b3127ccec4058388d0cf00000026108AYtnDdy3bswe3nwk

well i suggest not buying from eggbid anymore. If 2 eggs broke and 1 didn't hatch theres obviously some kind of protein or vitamin defiency that makes the eggs and chicks weaker

That looks like a developed chick to me, Kelly. Did it pip the membrane? Sometimes they just don't have the vigor to hatch. I don't think you (or your broody) did a thing wrong. The only thing I could possibly suggest is, try a larger number of eggs. I know that increases the number of roos you have to get rid of, but it definitely increases your chances of success.

If you have anyone close to you, non-shipped eggs are more of a sure thing.

Thanks for the replies.
Lynn-no the chick never pipped, it never made any noise I could hear.
I think my 1st time broody crushed the other eggs by mistake, one during the first week & one during the second.
I'd love to try to hatch many more but since I'm in a residential area I don't want to push my luck or have too get rid of too many babies.

Looks like it might have drowned, what size was the egg? And when you opened it could you tell were its head was?
Sorry this happened is your hen still setting? If so try to get some day old chicks for her to raise put them under her at night.

Thanks Okie
The head was at the bottom in the airsac, it was a large maybe extra large egg.
I'm really considering getting her a chick or two, she's back setting on the empty nest
hit.gif
I feel so darn bad.

Bless her heart try to get a few chicks asap, do you have any fake eggs? If you do put them under her and get some babies.

thanks okie, I have an email in to a local person that usually has chicks. If she has any I'll go get them after work & put them under Sunny tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom