Emergency Chick in bad shape need help asap

chilling in muscadine

{ I love being disfunctual }
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
muscadine, al.
Is it alright to give a 2 week old chick sugar water.That's the only thing I have on hand The chick has a huge skint place on it belly and it's toes look like they have been dipped in wax or something. The chick will probable die but I thought the sugar water would give it some pep. Will give more detail's in a bit just need to know about the sugar water.

well, i ve never given a chicken sugar water, but we feed them cereal all the time, and theres PLENTY of sugar in that! It may not be the most healthy element to give them, but i dont see how it could hurt, but im no vet. Is she tired or moving slow? not sure what could cause the waxy legs. Hope this helped evena little, good luck.

I am unable to properly picture in my minds eye from your description exactly what is wrong? (can you post a pic or please give a more detailed description not only of the chick but what is wrong with it and how long you have had it and how and where you keep it and what you feed it)
...are you enquiring about sugar water thinking it is dehydrated or something? If you suspect dehydration you must give electrolytes (not sugar water) here is a recipe for a homemade Ringers solution from a rehabber (you do need salt substitute though):

1 1/4 teasoon sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)

1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

rounded 1/2 teaspoon potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash" >>>Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)

2 tablespoons glucose (a common source is corn syrup)

add above to 1/2 gallon water

Yesterday the chick was fine. It is eating the medicated chick starter. It's 2 week's old. THis morning it was just laying in the coop. It has a huge skint up place on it's belly and the end of it's toe's look like they have been dipped in wax or something.

Back
Top Bottom