I'm looking into getting some ducks,But do they make obnoxious sounds?

scooterunderwood

Hatching
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
I'm looking into getting some ducks (2-5 of them), But do they make obnoxious sounds that may offend my neighbors?

I've ruled out chickens, well mostly cocks,because I know they will annoy everyone around me, but I'm not sure how often ducks make sounds and what provokes them to make sounds? Is it primarily only one sex that quacks, like it is with chickens? Please inform me as I would like to not bother the residents around me.

Thank you
-scooter

With domestic ducks (Pekins, Runners, Cayugas, etc.) it is the female who is noisy. She makes a loud sharp quack. The males make a quiet raspy quack.

With Muscovy ducks, neither the male nor the female is noisy. They make little trilling and friendly hissing noises. They are very sweet, quiet and friendly. If you are worried about noise, I recommend Muscovy ducks.

chel

Thanks eggchel, I was just going to pickup whatever they had at the feedstore down the road, but it sounds like "any" duck wont quite work. I'll try out the Muscovy and if they dont work with my neighbors I guess I'll "take care of the problem" or give them away on craigslist.

thanks.

If they are too loud, you can always send them to "freezer camp". LOL. But honestly, my muscovy were very quiet.

Dont forget to clip one of their wings after they are feathered in. Muscovy can fly... especially the smaller females. Once in a while mine would go for a loop around the neighborhood so I clipped their wings. I was afraid they'd land in the wrong yard.... like one with a dog!

chel

My duck girls were REALLY noisy for several months. Now that they are more mature, they talk a lot less. But, they still have to talk to you the whole time you are outside. Sometimes, when they and the geese get going at the same time, it can be a little annoying! And LOUD! I vote for the Muscovy's - though I have never had them, I know they don't make much noise. I do like the quiet little sounds that the drakes make, but they don't lay eggs. I like duck eggs, yum!

Quote:
I'm thinking about just putting them in a 10'x5' dog kennel because i think even with clipped wings they can jump 4' of chicken wire without too much trouble.

A 10 x 5 kennel is great, especially to protect them from predators. You can always just let them out when you are home, but I dont think you'll have a problem.
Ducks are great to let free range because they eat fly larva, mosquito larva, and snails.

chel

I was also thinking that i can just move the kennel every couple of weeks so they dont get that one disease ducks are prone to by walking in thier droppings, and they also cant kill the grass too bad if it gets moved often enough.

THeres no way a clipped duck can hop a 4ft fence. One of my yards is basically a 4 ft high chicken wire enclosure. I clip one wing, they stay put..
My first muscovies I brought home as ducklings.. Cute as could be, brooded them then turned them out and one day I hollered at my daughter to quit chasing the ducks.. My hubby was standing there and says What ducks? We have ducks?? They were 6 months old and he never even knew they were there
LOL

Back
Top Bottom