Please help! Need to choose antibiotic for bumblefoot ASAP!

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
We posted a fwe days ago. Our favorite hen, Olympia, seemed to have an early case of bumble foot (thread with pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=73661)

Today
we checked and the little scabs are bigger and perhaps the foot pads are a little tiny bit swollen. She was still not limping or acting in pain though. But we soaked her feet in warm soapy water and pried off the scabs adn put ointment and bandaged with vet wrap. But we are VERY WORRIED about her. She is the most wonderful, sweet, fantastic, smart, loving bird..... we really want to save her!

All I can find for antibiotics locally is penicillin (in the form of CombiPen Pen G Bensothine and Pen G procaine) or plain Pen G Procaine in PenAqueaus. Does penicillin work with bumblefoot???

Alternately I guess I can spend $50 ordering on line but it won't be here until next week.

Advice, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

I just found this on line. He uses Pen G. Does anyone think this sounds like a safe thing to do?

My Bumble Foot treatment by Bill Ludwig.
The following is an all out treatment. Mild infections can sometimes heal on there own or with much less bother than the following treatment plan. For very mild cases (small scab and no swelling) I will just clean and bandage for 1 to 2 weeks. For a medium infection (small scab and minor swelling of the foot pad) I will give Pen-G injections and clean and bandage. For very bad cases (large scab and major swelling of entire foot) I use the following. This information is based on my personal experience. I have no back round or education in veterinarian medicine

Bumble Foot is a staph infection and can spread to the "hock" joint as well. What has worked for me is injections of Pen-G. This is a basic form of penicillin and works very well on is type of staph infection. It will take some of your time for a week. You will need to soak the foot and bandage it also.
Things you will need:
1) Pen-G This can be purchased at feed stores or Tractor Supply Co. No prescription needed. Small bottle $9.00
2) 3ml syringe with a 25 gage needle. Shorter needle is easier. I use 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Get this at a pharmacy. Cost about 25 cents each. You may want several incase you bend a needle.
3) Rubbing alcohol
4) Gaze
5) Water proof bandaging tape
6) Epson salts
7) Neosporin or generic triple antibiotic ointment
8) Time and TLC

I have found that the lancing and squeezing is a waste of time.
Soak the foot in warm Epson salt solution. Mix according to package. About 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply Neosporin ( triple antibiotic ointment) and bandage. It will get dirt in it. Do the best you can allowing for free movement of foot.
Injections .
Allow Pen-G to warm to room temp. Shake pen-g well just before putting in syringe. Pull in about 3/4 CC (same as ml.). Pen-G is very thick, this will be slow.
Injection can be given in breast or thigh.
It must be given in muscle tissue taking care not to hit a bone.
Find the spot you want and clean with alcohol.
It helps if someone can help hold the bird now.
The Pen-G will want to plug the needle so just before putting the needle in you need to clear it by pushing some out. Keep 1/2 CC in syringe. This is the amount I used for a 4-5 lb. bird.
Insert the syringe and slowly withdraw it while injecting.
If the medicine wont push out the needle, withdraw the needle and clear it and try again.
If you have never done this I know it sounds difficult and even scary. Its not so bad.
Clean syringe with alcohol or replace with a new one.
Repeat for five days.
Now clean and bandage every 2 - 3 days till scabbed area looks mostly healed.
The swelling will last maybe a week longer after injections are done.
The scab may take several weeks to completely heal.

and another, different dosage, hmmmm.....
If you'd like to put your bird on an antibiotic, I find that Pen G procaine, given at a dosage of 30 000 IU per kg of weight works well. The amount will vary according to weight but it will be less than a cc in most cases. Give this either intramusclular or subcutaneous with a 22 gauge needle once per day- draw back on the syringe to ensure you aren't putting the penicillin into the blood stream.​

Last edited:
I know that Penicillin G is a good one for bumblefoot and it is often recommended for it, but I don't know about the different forms of it. I hope someone comes along soon.
hugs.gif

Thanks!
Should I get the PenAqueus Pen G or the Combi Pen? Any difference, do you think? My feed stores have them for about $20-$25. They only carry large size bottles
sad.png

Please I need help my ducks bumblefoot is getting worse i have penguin procaine 300 MGM per ml how much do I give please I need someone's help ty

Hi I got silver cream for the foot and bytril I'm from vet. The bumbles have cleaned up nicely but her knuckle is still warm and swollen can anyone give me some thoughts on what to do. We soak in Epsom salts two times away cream and I'm once a day give her vitamins she is in a coop separated with her friends around her. Her wing tips are turning yellow we allow her to dwin twice aday thanks or your help

The black spots are gone but the knuckle is still swollen should I lance it to see if there is something in it. It is still painful to walk please help thanks

Back
Top Bottom