I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF IT'S PNEUMONIA...

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Does anyone know what the symptoms in a chicken is if it has pneumonia? I'm beginning to think that may be what's wrong with my Ruby.
hit.gif

My hen recently went through this. She had a rattling chest you could hear it very easily. She also walked around with her mouth open alot and when she would breath you could hear the wheezing in her throat. Like a whistle almost b/c she is forcing air in and out of lungs that are basically filled with fluid. She also had a high fever. When I picked her up and felt her chest and under her wings she was VERY hot. Her comb began to fall over to the side also. I had to take her to the vet b/c it was so bad and they did a culture and told me the best thing to wipe it out was Aeromycin. My little Flo had lost a significant amount of weight so she only weighed 3.2 lbs and the vet told me to dissolve 1/8 tsp of the antibiotic in about 4ml of water and give it to her orally. I would give her 2ml in the morning and 2ml in the evening. It did upset her stomach a bit.

I supplemented her diet with cooked egg b/c she did not have much of an apetite. I would strongly suggest giving her the meds by hand to make sure she is taking in enough to do it's job. For the fever dissolve aspirin in water and it will help. I use (5) 325 mg tablets to a gallon of water or 1 1/2 tablets to a quart of water.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom