OMG!!! help, what is it?????

therealsilkiechick

ShowGirl Queen
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Northwestern, pa
this huge thing was hanging on our tomatoes this am eating it.
ep.gif
it ate half of 2 of them. it's streatched out about 3.5" long by about 1/2" wide. i have never seen one of these before it is a catapilar or a worm of some sort and what will it turn into??? why oh why does it have to eat my mattoes!!???
barnie.gif

it's awesome but now i'm affraid to go in the mattoe garden.
gig.gif
anyone ever seen one of these or know anything about them?? what do i put on them to protect them from things that will eat them??
thanks,
silkie

HPIM2626.jpg

Tomato horn worms. Sevin dust or most vegetable insecticides will kill them.

They turn into some sort of moth. Chickens like them...

They creep me out!

That right there is good chicken food and otherwise nothing else!!!! Aggravating dang things can eat your whole tomato crop down!! Tomato worms, don't know their technical name but hate them. Luckily none so far this year, a few last year and quite alot the year before, maybe they went north up your way. They do not like to be squirted with lemon fresh joy mixed with alot of water..it will keep all the bugs away, course till it rains and makes a few suds and washes off..perfectly harmless to us and our chickens though, my fav. pesticide..that particular varmit you have there...pluck him off that branch and throw his butt in your chicken pen!!!!

It's a tomato horned worm. It will turn into the sphinx moth I believe. They are not real pretty but are huge. They are like 5 inches across from wing to wing. I Had two of the worms this year, but had millions of them last year. We plucked them and went fishing. They make THE best cattish bait when you set out jugs!!!! I have one right now that my child caught and we have it in a big container, it just went from green to light brown, then buried itself in the dirt to turn into the pupae or whatever. We are trying to let it hatch into a moth for her to see. I think it will accidentally fly off after it hatches. I don't want that thing laying more eggs for next year.

Definitely a chicken treat. They can get really deep in your plants. I find that the only thing that ensures they are all gone is a couple hours of hand picking. They start out impossibly tiny, so check all the undersides of leaves.

Quote:
I have never seen a picture of an adult, beautiful. Mary, good luck with those things! I've found only one this year, but my Brandywine is still getting slaughtered. They blend in so well, and when they are babies, its especially hard to spot the little monsters!

Back
Top Bottom