OMG!!! help, what is it?????

The moths really do make you think of hummingbirds, but the worms are butt-ugly and voracious. I'm of two minds on them.

Best way to get rid of them is hand-pick, unless you have a cat like I used to have. He'd go hunting these things and proudly bring them back to share! Um, appreciate the thought... (Better than the cat who was bringing home giant hissing cockroaches.)

lol at the chicken pics, i don't blame them i'd not want to eat them freaky things either.
gig.gif

well, we have kept it in the mason jar and now 2 tomatoes and alot of pooping later it has burried it's self in the dirt we put in. so i believe it is working on makeing a cacoon. anyone know how long it will take to become a moth? the kid's r excited to see what it becomes.
smile.png

we have only found just the one and searched everywhere, we have about 50 tomatoe plants and all seem to be fine now surpriseingly. i don't use anything on any of my gardens with the exception of sometimes miricle grow when i see they need a boost or for my tropicals like my brugs. i have 5 kid's so unless i really have to i don't use pesticides or chemicals.

i don't mind the little visitors i think it's good to teach the kid's about nature. we try to plant things for the butterflies, hummingbirds and bees and such.

I didn't do tomatoes this year, but I got just 1 of those last year. It ate a couple of my tomatoes and then disappeared. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it's coccoon
hu.gif
. I never thought it dug in
smack.gif
. Guess I should have looked it up online. I left it and showed the kids, it got huge FAST. Would love to see a pic when it comes out
cool.png

Krista

i didn't know anything about it till i read the one link someone posted. in it i saw something about digging down in the dirt when it was ready so we added a few inces of dirt to the jar.

i went to check on it and it was not in the jar so i assume it is in the dirt burried and going to the next stage(had i not have read that i'd of screamed like a little girl, rotfl). it acted like it was really full and slugish the day before and had stopped eating. u know how people turn green and look like they r ready to get sick. kinda like that but it was turning brownish,lol. next morning it was gone and i know the kid's haven't let it out cuz they r kinda scared of it's horn they think it's a stinger,lol so it's had to of burried it's self down in.

will definately take pics i'm really excited to see how big and what this moth will look like since the worm was so HUGE!! if i didn't have lepard geckos in my 10 gal tank i'd put it in there to see it better. so i'm gonna see if i can find or make something bigger for it to make it easier for takeing pics before we let it go after it turns into a moth.

Back
Top Bottom