Cream Brabanter chick pics

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
Here are the latest pics of my Cream Brabanter chicks. The young ones are 8 days old and the 2 older ones are 21 days old.

Brabanterchicks_8days.jpg

CHICKS - 8 DAYS

Brabanter_pullet.jpg

PULLET - 21 DAYS

Brabanter_cockerel_side.jpg

COCKEREL SIDE - 21 DAYS

Brabanter_cockerel_sm.jpg

COCKEREL BACK

Brabanter_cockerel_mohawk1.jpg

COCKEREL w/ MOHAWK

Brabanter_cockerel_mohawk_cu.jpg

COCKEREL w/ MOHAWK - CLOSE UP

Hope you enjoy these!

They are really cute and the Mohawk is hilarious!!!
smile.png

They are sweet! Is that yellow one in the back a CB also? All of mine are mottled. The small ones of mine are starting to get their crests. The one in the "Mohawk" picture above has at least doubled his crest size since that pic. This is the first CBs that I have hatched. When I saw pics of the adults, I just had to get some.

Have you been raising CBs for a long time? I had trouble finding info on that breed on the web. I have pretty much only been able to get info from the person I bought the eggs from.

I am going to need to move mine into a bigger space though. They are getting a bit crowded (maybe not statistically, but in my opinion). I lost the room I used to move my chicks to when they outgrew their brooder. It was still inside the house, but it was much bigger. I had 36 chicks in there the last time but now it isn't available to use anymore.

I think I will build a grow-out brooder in my shop. It's much warmer now and the shop has electricity so I can give them heat and light.

I'm gonna have to do this for my 6 turkey poults and 9 guinea keets soon too. I didn't time things well.
smile.png
...but it is still fun.

Take care,

Steven

The yellow one in the back is a chick I hatched in the incubator- possibly a buff orp, more probably a mixed breed. The Cream Brabanter is the chick in the center of the pic.

I have not been raising them long at all. In fact, I got my first few from a BYC (moderator, i think)-allenwranch. Sadly, we had a coop invasion last night and I lost my entire flock except for 6 birds that are still MIA. So, now the only Brabanters I have are in the brooder-9 pullets/1 roo that I ordered from Ideal.
I can tell you though, that the ones I did have were the friendliest, most personable birds. When they moved in with us they never seemed to skip a beat- it was like they were as comfortable as if they had been raised here from day one. They bickered just a bit with my flock, but soon rose to the top of the pecking order- and none of my girls seemed like it bothered them a bit. They will be sorely missed.

They are listed as a rare breed and are very difficult to find any info on. I can't wait for mine to grow up- they are the most gorgeous birds. I love the mowhawk pic, btw. What a great look!

I am so sorry to hear about your coop invasion. I would be devastated if that happened to me. I have 34 17week old heritage and rage breeds and will be adding the CBs to the group (10), unless I can build them their own coop and pen. I am thinking I might want to raise the CBs. I really like my others (8 breeds), but there is something about the CBs...just can't explain it.

I have noticed that the CBs are much more "flighty" than any of the other breeds that I have raised. The little cockerel that has the Mohawk is trying to be "brave" and "pushy" when I go to0 feed them. He stands right at the door and puffs up his chest and sometimes pecks me. It doesn't hurt or anything...it is sort of cute actually. I have been trying to hold all of them and let them know that I am no threat. The person that I bought the eggs from said that they won't be nearly as docile as the heritage breeds I already have unless I pay lots of attention to them and handle them allot.

I just took some more pics. I will be posting them soon. The older 2 are 29 days old and the younger ons are 16 days old. They grow so fast. I have guinea keets that are 10 days old and they are outgrowing their battery brooder and 6 heritage poults that are 25 days old that are outgrowing their brooder. I have a 16X16 pen I made outside with an attached 7X10 shed that I think I might be using for the turkeys...although I originally built it for white peafowl. They haven't hatched yet so you never know if they sill or not. The keets are going with the chickens for now. I still want to free range the guineas, turkeys and peafowl...I just have to figure out a way to keep them in my yard. I will clip their wings and that should keep the guineas and turkeys in, but the peafowl can jump a 4' fence even with clipped wings, so they might have to stay penned...I have 3 India Blue (1 cock and 2 hens in a 16X16 covered pen. Square footage wise, they have plenty of room, but I would still love to have them roam...just on MY property.

I have done all of this in 17 weeks. I have a bad habit of jumping in with both feet. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But in any case, it is fun and a great learning. I will get great eggs out of this and later I imagine meat from some of the birds. I have found that peahen eggs are really good. I am not breeding them this year and I am not going to throw the eggs away, so I thought I would try them. They are much richer that chicken eggs and of course much larger. Takes allot more effort to beat them though. Definitely need a whisk and little milk helps too.

Anyway, I will post the new pics (if they turn out well).

Again, I am very sorry about your loss. I hope you can maybe find some of them (intact).

Best wishes,

Steven

Back
Top Bottom