What to do w/bleeding turkey feathers??

ChickenChaser

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
I noticed today that my Tom turkey has some large tail feathers that have been broken completely off or damaged and a couple are bleeding. I'm thinking maybe a chicken was picking at them or another turkey. I'm not sure but I need to know what to do about the turkey now that it is bleeding. One feather stub that is still there is about and inch or two long. The rest of the feather is gone. The other ones that are bleeding are mostly in tack. Should I leave the turkey alone and it will stop by itself or try to pull out the feathers that are bleeding. I am worried about the turkey and really need some advice. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Quote:
DO NOT do what im about to tell you to do because I BARELY remember this information....

in a parakeet book about "blood feathers" it said that if one is broken and bleeding to pull it out as it should stop the constant flow of bleeding...however this is for parakeets who barely have any blood in tehm as it is...i think teh turkey should be fine? as long as he's not pouring blood. Please do not do what i said I read until someone else with more experience posts...sorry i can't fully knowledgely help...but that's what i remember.

That is exactly what I knew about my cockatiel. It happened only once with her and I took her to a vet and they pulled the bloodfeather out and explained it to me. That is why I am so worried about this turkey. I didn't know if it is the same situation or not. It is not bleeding bad but there is definatly fresh blood at the broken ends of the feathers.

Quote:
ouchie, well I dont think right now he's in any immediate danger so waiting until someone else says yay or nay to what ya should do if you're really concerned though try and see how he's doing it (fi someones pecking him or whatever) and either seclude that bird, or seclude him for a bit and put some antibiotic ointment on it i honestly dont think he's in any real danger, but if that was me personally i'd just pull the feathers (that are broke). I'd pull one see how it does, and if it's fine and not gushing blood i'd pull the others that are broken...
smile.png

Thanks a bunch. I was really worried about pulling this thick feather tip out and making the bleeding worse for the turkey. I couldn't get a grip with my fingers so I got it w/ a pair of pliers. It came out easy and the turkey stayed very still as if he knew I was doing my best to help him. I'll check on him in the morning. It wasn't bleeding when I left him but it did leave a gapping hole. Thanks for your advice.
smile.png

Good that you pulled the feather. In the future if a bird is bleeding while you wait for advice you can use a product like Quik-Stop or any of the other styptic powders that cause the blood to clot. W euse this at the pet store if one of the birds' nails gets clipped to short to stop the bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom