Type of ivermectin used for scaly leg mite cure?

BluegrassSeramas

Serama Savvy
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Central Kentucky
I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but thought if any of you were up like me, I might get a better anwser sooner!
smile.png

I got totally ripped off buying my first flock. I got them all home and was happily checking them out and dusting them for bugs and checking vents when I noticed pretty much everyone has a BAD case of scaly leg mites. I have been treating it regularly with various home remedys and it is getting only a little better. Im going to try Ivermectin next. I was wondering what form it comes in.
I have tons of Ivermectin paste De-Wormer for my horses I keep in stock and was thinking about smearing that on all the birds since I already have it. Is that crazy or might it just work?
Thanks!

Never heard of that being used to treat scaly leg mites. What kinds of home remedies have you tried? Usually daily coats in Vaseline does the job in a few weeks. It does take times for the scales to come back normal though.

You're probably sick to death of all the crazy cures you've heard but I have one more for you. The ONLY thing that worked for me was Red Cote, the active ingriedient is Scarlet Oil. It smells nice but looks like they're hemorraging- there's a reason it's called Red Cote!

The best wormer I've used is Eprinex, it's topical and does work for almost every kind of parasite imaginable. With a dosage of 1/2 cc per large fowl a bottle lasts a long time. I didn't see a difference with scaley leg mites though, maybe I was just too impatient but the Red Cote semed to work within days.

I use baby oil and coat the legs using a small paint brush!
It takes a few weeks to really see that it is cleared up...
works for me and is readily available...

hey

the best thing to use to clear up mites etc is called-prozap insectrin dust. and believe me it works wonders and its like 5.00-6.00 a 2# shaker can and 1# does 100 chickens.

Try WD-40 spray/smear it on their legs. My neighbor used it-put it on once and two weeks later when she went to do it again to catch any new hatchlings their legs were looking almost normal-they had had a very bad case too.

We decided to use it after reading Miss P's post on it.

Last edited:
Campho-phenique put on with an eye-dropper getting under the scales and repeat in a week or as necessary works wonders for scaley leg mites.

Using Ivermectin (Ivomec) for just scaley leg mites is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Ivermectin is a potent de-wormer. It also kills Northern Fowl mites and chicken lice as well as scaley leg mites. If you need to do de-worm and de-louse, then Ivermectin is a good choice-- here's a website

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

Be
very careful not to get any of the Ivermectin on the vent of your bird as it can cause death.

Thanks all. Just in case anyone wanted to know what the vet said:
He said to use an injectible ivermectin for cattle. He thinks that I should try to give one drop orally per 5 pounds of bird. Since I have Seramas, he told me to dilute the ivermectin. He said that I should repeat this in 2-3 weeks and maybe give it to one bird 1st to make sure Im not ODing them..lol.
Im also going to try some of the topical methods that I have not tried yet from some of you on here. Thanks to all!
big_smile.png

I use ivermectin for worming before breeding season.

I use 1.5 cc per gallon of water of injectible ivermectin. This will kill internal parasites and external parasites that take blood meals. I do believe that it will not take care of tapes and will not kill lice that eat feather dander.

Back
Top Bottom