egg substitutions

Most recipies call for large eggs. If your hens lay smaller egges use the chart below.

Large Jumbo Extra-large medium small peewees
1 1 1 1 1 2
2 2 2 2 3 3
3 2 3 3 4 5
4 3 4 5 5 6
5 4 4 6 7 8
6 5 5 7 8 10

Bantam eggs are most likley small eggs

Or you could use your measuring cup. A large egg is considered about 1/4 cup. 2 large eggs 1/2 cup, etc. So if you are using bantam eggs, just crack them into your measuring cup till you get 1/2 cup for 2 large eggs, etc.

I asked the web about pullet eggs and found MANY articles about how awesome they are. I mean some people go to great lengths to get them and chefs … well they like them A LOT. So I started reading. It turned out I had not been cooking them properly. I have probably never cooked an egg properly.

Preliminary Testing:
Following many chef-esque instructions I did the research … I put olive oil in the pan on low just until it began to flow like water. I gently cracked and floated the pullet eggs on the oil. Note that they should not sizzle! I spooned the hot oil up over the top of the little eggs with their round orange yolks and their sturdy whites. I turned off the heat and continued to spoon the oil over them until the whites had just set. They were SO good. The white was softer and yet done. The yolk was a little more flavorful.

Is this just the pullet size or the freshness or what?

Back
Top Bottom