HELP!!! FOR THE CONSTRUCTION IMPARED!!(Long and rambling)

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I've gotten pretty far on my coop all by my little lonesome. (hate hubby's new job he can't help, but that's another issue)

I'm having problems trying to figure out how to put a roof on.

The coop is similar to the playhouse coop on the BYC homepage. 8ftX4ft. 2ft coop with a 6ft run sections. This is what I've got so far.

peak2.jpg

I've got a 2x2 running from one end to the other. It's turned on it's end, err, point, so that when I lay the roof it will come in contact with a flat 2inch side.

Now what?! I'm afraid that the 2x2 and the ends aren't going to be strong enough to support the particle board roof that will be either shingled or painted (haven't decided yet) Do I need to put in additional supports? How would I do that.

Don't ask me angle I have no idea. (failed geom a gazillion years ago)Base 48 in, eeight 18in, 2 sides 30 in, The 2x2 is flush with the peak and sides.
peak.jpg

HELP!!!

Last edited:
Okay, so I didn't read too well the first time around. I think you are right about the 2x2 not being able to support the roof. How about if you use some 2x4's about half way down on each side. You will have to nail in some blocking to help support them as I assume you would want them flush with the current ends. These could support roofing and the 2x2 would give you something to nail to at the top. What do you think?

Looking at your design right now as I see it, I think the easiest thing to do would be to cut a 2x4 to fit directly below the roofline, directly under the 2x2 that is the roof "peak," and nail it into place. This is the red line in my drawing. Then, measure the distance between that plank and the roofline really carefully. Cut some scrap wood to juuuuust wedge vertically between the two (top peak, and the new board). Nail or screw them into place (the yellow lines on the drawing. Attach the roof like you intended.

It is important to see that the red-line board goes between the two farthest walls. This will help stabilze the roof.

support.jpg

This is not an elegant solution, but it will help hold the peak up and it requires no geometry or fancy saw work. Also, I bet the chickens will enjoy roosting on it.

-MTchick

TreyClark281---Would love to have a metal roof but, don't currently have those kinds of funds at the time. Particle board is just lying around.

MTchick---Not sure if that would work. Wouldn't the middle of the 2x4 still need to be suported some how so it doesn't sag?

BirdBrain----"use some 2x4's about half way down on each side" I'm not sure what you mean.

I am construction illiterate!!
hit.gif

You need some trusses in there. Look at your second picture, the 2x4s (or I think 2x2 you are using and they should work) that are at a 45 degree angle need to be added all along the roof line. Basically just repeat what you have for the end in a few spots in the middle. Industry standard is 16 inches on center but you could fudge that some.

You got a Home Depot or Lows near you? Just walk in any of the display sheds and what I poorly described will make sence, probally in a smack your forehead and say "duh" sort of way.

Just running a 2x4 down the middle with uprights will cause sagging, shingles over 1/2 inch is heavy.

HTH

Joann and usbr are right. You do need some trusses (like she showed in her picture). What I was saying was that you could place some 2x4's (they are stronger than 2x4's) parallel to your ridge pole--about half way between the ridge and the bottom drip edge. Clear as mud?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom