Molting pics? Do roosters molt too?<<PICS added>>

needmorechickens!

Songster
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
West TN
I noticed tonight that my rooster's neck feathers look kinda stubby and like a few are missing. None of the others are doing this.
Can roosters molt too? I always hear about hens molting, but never roos.
Does anyone have any pics of what molting looks like?
I will get a pic of my roo to show you....

12638_web-perkins-back-feathers.gif

12638_web-perkins-neckfeathers.gif

What do you think?
roll.png

~Rebecca

Last edited:
Those look like new feathers with their "pins" still on. when chickens preen they pull the pin casings off new feathers but they can't reach the oneson their own heads and back of their necks. My roos look a lot like yours right now. I've seen my hens actually preen each others heads and necks ( very meticulous bunch of girls I have) and the preenee stands very still for this service. Roo's, especially my young ones, can't stand still when a hen is that close.
roll.png

Every bird I have been around grows new feathers on a regular basis. Chickens apparently do it all at once I am guessing. The "pin feathers" come out and have a casing on them and blood flows though this casing until the new feather is done growing Then the casing starts to fall off or is picked off by the bird or even other birds. Try hard NOT to pick at your chickens casings, you could make them bleed and this could actually lead to them bleeding out.

My leg horn roo bleeds from his casings all the time becuase he is "THE CHICKEN" in the barn and constantly fighting.

Birds are a wonderful and sometims mysterious animal, even a chicken falls into this catagory.

Yeah they do look like new feathers...and you don't have to worry about me picking on his casings! He won't let me catch him! He's a sweetheart though!
~Rebecca

Hmmm, I wonder whether a roo's casings could bleed from the act of mating? I wonder whether this is what is wrong with my boy? Or whether he could have picked at his own casings?

Back
Top Bottom