sizzle, frizzle, and frazzle???

Pics

Missouri chick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Homer, GA
Hey Ya'll, I'm still learning so please bear with me....I figured out what frazzle is. What is the difference in sizzle and frizzle? Either way they are SO cute..... anyone with pics? thanks!!!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks KellyHM!!!

Do a byc search on Frazzle. I can't remember who though.... I saw it on a post the other day. Super curly and super soft. Kinda looked like a poodle. I think they said it had double frizzle gene. Brittle feathers though

Any Breed of chicken can have Frizzle feathers, the most common are Cochins but there are Frizzled Polish, Rocks, and many others.

Sizzles are Frizzled Cochin/ Silkie crosses. Many of us are working to develop a breed of Sizzle that breed true. All the characteristics of a Silkie but with barbed feathers, not Silkie Feathers. There are Frizzled Silkies and they are not Sizzles.
DarkSizzle08.jpg

This is a Sizzle

Sizzles008.jpg

This photo is of a Sizzle on the left and a Frizzled Silkie on the right

As mentioned, Frazzles are the result of breeding a frizzled bird to a frizzled bird. The result is a bird with very brittle feathers or very few feathers at all there are often organ anomalies as well.

Last edited:
Breeding question...If I have a chick that is a cross between a silkie and frizzle(techniquely a "sizzle") but looks like a silkie...can I breed it with a frizzle or would that be trouble because of double frizzle genes? Would it be safer to breed it back to a silkie b/c it is carrying the frizzle genes(even though hey are obviously recessive)? Just wondering how this works. I've heard that once you produce a sizzle the best ideal thing is to breed it back to a silkie to better the body type. But just wondering what is best to do with the no-sizzle showing chicks? WOW..that's confusing to ask!
barnie.gif
:barnie Blessings, Keri

If your bird is not displaying the frizzled feathers, then by all means breed it to a frizzled bird. The only time there is a problem is if you breed frizzle to frizzle. Sizzles as they are being developed come in both smooth and frizzled feathers. Sizzles birds should have regular barbed feathers, not silkie feathers but other than that the should look like a silkie.

This is a photo of my Homozygous Sizzle (Frazzle or Curley) He is the product of a Frizzled Sizzle to a Frizzled Sizzle. This was an experiment out of necessity. I did not have a place for my single Sizzle hen.
12_bad_hair_day2.jpg

So far he has not shown any sign of feather breakage the only difference is the feathers do seem like they are over permed. The width of each feather is much narrower than normal feathers a s well. This boy is 4 months old

Keep in mind that Sizzle is a breed in the process of being developed. Not all birds are Frizzled. It is necessary to keep the smooth birds from any frizzle breeding program weather Sizzle or Cochin or whatever. You need the smooth birds to breed back to the frizzled ones.

Back
Top Bottom