Feeding cat food to chickens! How?

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
I am interested in this. What type do I need to feed them? Do I mix it in their food?Can I use a cheap brand? Does it help with egglaying in Winter?

I use the cheapest dry food I can find and let soak in water. It helps as a protein suppliment as most dry foods are about 30% protein. I would not feed everyday as it is not the best food choice for chickens. I'm not so sure it will help with egg production but it will give you fat chickens over time. Obesity in chickens greatly lowers egg production.

Why not just feed a non-medicated starter or a high-protein turkey grower?

You would be staying within the family of birds with your feed choice that way.

You should know that Diana has objected quite a bit about cat food and linked some studies that show why she is concerned:

Treat Chart

Steve

my chickens steal my cat food all day long. one chases my cat away from the food. pretty funny to see. i know they should not have much but it is a constant battle. they do love it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definetly don't want to cause a problem with fatness in my chickens. Should I give a little bit to them every once in a while or what? I know I am not getting enough protein in the feed I buy. I mix two kinds--1 is 16% and the other is 14%.

Quote:
I got the same problem!

The cats are fed at night now, for their own protection. Never a dirty cat food bowl on the deck anymore. The only thing better is when the possums lick the bowl clean.
smile.png
Sometimes I sprinkle the dry cat food on the veggies, for a change.

It is hard for us to keep dog feed out for Mabel and Ruby. The chickens eat all of it and there crop looks like it is going to bust. We wait until the chickens go in before feeding the dogs..and if there are left overs.. the chickens go straight there and eat the rest when we let them out.

Back
Top Bottom