The story of Robin Hood

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
Robin Hood looks just like the little fellow in this photo:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Quail/BRKQuailBty.html

I wasn't supposed to have anymore chickens. I gave my small flock to my cousin last summer. This fall I was in charge of the poultry and rabbits at a local fall festival and also given money to go buy chickens, turkeys, etc. before it started. (The owners just give the birds and rabbits away when it's over). I bought a bunch of bantams from a local farmer but my boss wanted lots more so I went to an auction - my first. In one of the cages were several cochins and one little quail antwerp cockeral. Some of the cochins were picking mercilessly on the little cockeral and I took him out of the cage. (Didn't know if that was allowed but I couldn't stand it!) I sat and held him and he was shaking and hid his head in the crook of my elbow. I decided right then and there I was buying that little guy. I was prepared to pay big bucks for him (and, besides, it wasn't my money and I was given a blank check!! Ha!) Well, I got him!! I named him Robin Hood because he looks like he's got a red hat and a black cape on!

I brought a bunch more bantams to the farm and they were all housed in a barn there with the first ones I bought. Everything was going well for about 3 weeks and then a respiratory disease began to set in...probably from one of the chickens I got at the auction. Who knows? But it was bad and my special little guy came down with a swollen eye. Fortunately, there were angels disguised as BYCers who adopted all of the chickens except Robin Hood so I brought him to my house. My dh was none too pleased since I had promised no more chickens (psst...I had my fingers crossed because I will definitely have more some day). I tried treating his eye on my own with terrimycin eye ointment and rinsing his eye with eye wash but it wasn't getting better. So I broke down and took him to the vet's (even though he isn't mine) and spent gobs of money on the little guy. His infection cleared up with all the antibiotics he was given but he lost the sight in his right eye.

We-ell, Robin Hood is still living here IN MY HOUSE and I desperately want to find a loving home for him. My dh turned the chicken coop into a storage shed for his stuff so I don't have a coop and I kept him inside when he was sick so now I'm afraid to expose him to this frigid weather we're having. So, I put him in a pet carrier at night and put him in a closet so he doesn't wake us up at the crack of dawn. Around 8:30, I bring him downstairs so his crowing doesn't wake my dh and he crows and crows and crows until I give him some special treats and then he just hangs out in the tv room all day, or, in a bathroom I have covered in newspaper.

And that's the story of Robin Hood. He is such a sweet sweet little boy. Isn't there anybody out there who would like to put him with some nice lovely hens so he can live out his life happily ever after??
Pul-eeeeeze??
idunno.gif

Thanks if you got this far,

Ellen

Ellen,
I wish we lived closer! Why can't you keep him, and build a small area in the garage or something?
DH will not allow only one? I promised mine no more cats, and since then, I have 3 more.

Last edited:
Love your story about Robin Hood... Could he not be your family pet? They are so many house birds and on here they even talk about chicken diapers!
He would be alot of company for you.... Sounds like you have grown to love him...
Consider keeping him
smile.png

Edited to add that I had one just like him and named him Jesse James.. He was always getting out of pen and wandering the yard...
The Antwerps tend to be timid and get picked on easily...

Last edited:
Yes, I COULD keep him as a house pet but I prefer to find him a home with some ladies as I think he would be happiest with his own kind and in a place where he has a house and yard to scratch around in. I gave my flock away to free us up to travel and, now, here I am with chickens again albeit one and we're going away for a week at Christmas. I DO love him! That's why I'm trying to find him a loving, caring forever home (preferably before Christmas
tongue.png
).

ETA: I do know of a few places I could take him but they have too many roosters or don't take very good care of their birds and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom