Asparagus recipes

Quote:
Yeah my huband freaked the first time it happened..its not as scary as when you eat too many beets
big_smile.png

Saute it with butter and large slices of garlic until the garlic is nice and toasted and the asparagus is done but not mushy. Season with a little bit of fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Yummmm!!!!!

Here's one we really like. You can substitute another nut if you don't like hazelnuts. For example - we have pecan trees and like to make it with pecans too. But 'anything hazelnut' is one of my personal favorites.

Hazelnut Parmesan Asparagus - nice pic & printable version available on our farm site

2 lbs asparagus spears
2 cups water
2 TBL margarine or butter
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh OR 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped

In 12-inch skillet, heat water to boiling. Add asparagus. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.

In same skillet, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are light brown.

Stir asparagus, basil, salt and pepper into mushrooms until vegetables are coated with seasonings and asparagus is heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and hazelnuts.

Kim- Your website looks great! I wish I live a little closer to you...

I've signed up for the local farmers co-op for the first time this year.
Starting April, we will have fresh locally grown organic veggies every week!
I know that asparagus is one of the items we will receive this spring so I'm definitely trying those recipes. Yum
smile.png

One piece of important asparagus advice -

don't overcook them! When blanching (be sure to salt the water a little for this) or roasting them, keep a close eye on them and cook only until bright green and can be pieced easily with a fork.

Asparagus get stringy and slimy when overcooked, but they are SO wonderful when cooked al dente (with a slight crunch). Also, they come in a huge variety of thicknesses - from thinner than a pencil to nearly 3/4" in diameter. The thickness will determine how long the cooking takes. The thin ones will blanch in under one minute. The thicker ones will take a bit longer. If you have a variety of thicknesses in your bunch, you should take them out when each one is done at different times.

Also, creamy sauces are the most classic way to serve them - hollandaise is the most standard (I can give a recipe if anyone is interested), or even just a little mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice, garlic and a dash of salt... or just butter and garlic and lemon.

My fiance likes them plain, so that is cool too. Good luck to you!

Quote:
I did this one today
I made everything ahead of time at about 1pm then i got busy doing other things and they marinated today till dinner was about done i popped them in the oven and O MY..were they good the flavor had set right into them it was sooooo good

oh yeah...

and the post about not being surprised in the bathroom... it's not the same thing as what a Fiber One bar would do to you
smile.png

It makes your pee turn green and smell funny. But, again, this is normal and nothing to worry about
smile.png

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom