Please show me your hot weather coops

Thank you, everyone, for the pictures and the other comments.

My husband and I were proud to serve. I debated whether I should include it in my signature but decided to simply so folks could see well-adjusted veterans. We both got out in 2006.

Cheers, joy! I served alongside British, Australian, and German forces. We met many, many others including French and Spanish sailors off the coast of Africa (the piracy problems actually began years ago out there).

It was an incredible experience that really makes our quiet farm life much more enjoyable.

Hubby and I are getting some great design ideas from these pictures, any more?
big_smile.png

depending on what part of florida you are in you may be able to pick up some shade house bows for next to nothing, I am in the nursery business and they are just gagging down there lotsa people selling off everything, it is quite simple to make a run/coop out of a re-used shade house. maybe check craigs list in farm and garden??

I too want to thank you and your husband for all you did.

I am also sending pics of our Houston, TX (read hot and humid) coop and run.
It works good in keeping the birds very well breezed.

This is the front
IMG_1516.jpg

This is the side
IMG_1515.jpg

This is the back of the coop, I am standing in the run. The two doors on the top is where we get the eggs.
IMG_1738.jpg

This is inside
11732_img_1511.jpg

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Kycklingmamma

These are great. Thank you all for posting. Hot weather is an issue for my little ones as well. If anyone else has some hot weather coup pictures, I'd love to see more.

Hey there. I'm in central Phoenix and just finished my coop (4x8). It's built of steel square bar tubing, chicken wire and I used an old awning that blew down last summer for the roof. I tied the roof down with u-bolts. I also wrapped the western and southern sides with bamboo to add more shade. It's placed under a tree to help shade the roof. Seems to be working well so far. Lots of ventilation and shade.

I used some recycled stuff like an old security door ($15) and some left over wood. Think cost just under $175 total.

coop-2.jpg

I also made a small nest box.

nest-box-1.jpg

Good luck!

Here is my hot weather coop. The roof overhang shades the windows completely from sun from 10AM to 2PM. For the roof sheathing, I used the foil-faced OSB to reflect the heat. There are windows on all four sides that open and have screens. I am still working on the run, so it isn't in the pics.
18671_pict2489.jpg

Still finishing up this coop. Central California, so it's under a big oak. Built 3-sided with run.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

I live in Arizona where you all know it is hot. My small coop is a work in progress, with a wood frame and it will have wire all away around it. The higher back side, that will be up against a wall, will also have wire all the way to the top. I am still trying to completely decide on the roof material, and am considering having a solid roof that can be raised similar to a car hood, and propped up at times. I will have a mesh or wire framed to sit in it's place to protect them from cats and also to keep them from jumping out. I also am considering a wind powered ventilator that will help keep the air circulating up and out.

I will post finished pictures hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

27085_img_5545.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my tractor in progress. i'm central arizona, dry but hot hot hot. i'll be adding a fan to keep air moving during the summers. it's a tractor, so i'll move it into the shadier parts of the yard during the hot parts of the year as well. i'll also be cool coating the tin roof.

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

Back
Top Bottom