Can Marek's survivor rejoin flock?

Beau coop

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
WNY
If you have a bird that has recovered from what is suspected to have been Marek's, can they rejoin the flock?

I understand that they will always be a carrier and shed virus. Was the rest of the flock already exposed prior to onset of symptoms and isolation?

The miracle birds that recover from "mareks" IMO are usually something else that causes temporary difficulty walking or the appearance of paralysis. Like trauma to the pelvis. Mareks disease is diagnosed almost always on necropsy. The classic Mareks bird that goes down, and has leg paralysis, does this because the nerves controlling the legs are affected by tumor invasion. Hard to see a recovery possible from this.
If your bird is recovered from a toxin or trauma and now seems normal, the spreading of Mareks is not a concern. If your bird actually does have Mareks, it is spreading feather dander with the virus in it all of the time. The more Mareks virus around the property, the heavier the exposure will be to any naive bird you hatch or introduce to the flock. If the bird you have has been around your flock, they are all exposed already. I personally would permanently remove any Mareks suspects from a flock, and then from there on- only bring in vaccinated chicks, and keep them completely away from the existing flock for several weeks prior to introduction. This also serves as a normal quarantine time. I keep my new chicks from the flock for 2 months minimum.

I would also want to know *for sure* whether I had/have Mareks in the flock- the diagnosis for this again is necropsy/pathology- meaning cull the bird and send to the state lab for confirmation.

I would second that advice if it is most likely Marek's. I wouldn't take the chance with your other birds. Out of 5 young hens I brought in from another poultry seller, 2 went down within about 8 weeks and another was losing her sight. I decided, after hoping and searching for any other explanation other than Marek's disease, to cull the remaining hens to stop the spread of disease. Only vaccinated chicks from a certified hatchery or breeder for me as I rebuild my little backyard flock. Even my last 2 RIR hens, who stayed in a separated coop from these hens, will be going to my friend as our other birds were all from hatcheries and were not affected by what the new hens brought in. It was a sad, senseless, expensive, but (in the end) educational mistake…

I think maybe your right about something other than Marek's. She presented in a "penguin position". She was sitting back on her haunches as opposed to the legs out paralysis. She did appear drunk however and would tip over backwards or side ways. Is doing fine now, walking and eating normally. I am still worried about putting her back because I really don't know what happened, but I don't think she can live alone forever either. Should I cull?

Last edited:
Gosh, without knowing actually what was wrong with the bird- noone can say whether you should introduce it again. Toxin or trauma is not contagious, and reintroduction as long as she does not get beaten up by the other birds (who may have forgotten about her), should be fine. If she was intoxicated by a plant substance, pesticide, or spoiled food- she should be fine (as long as she does not get into this unknown thing again). Trauma should not repeat itself- unless she is an unlucky clutz...
If it was my bird and I was confident that she is healthy (good weight, normal acting, eating/drinking, normal poop, laying normal eggs...) I would probably reintroduce her. I have EE mutts mostly, and they do not represent an important gene pool to the rest of chicken-dom. If you have a prized flock of rare/heritage/show ect birds, you should probably not....

ok. she's back. I am nervous however. I hope I am not hurting my flock. But she has such a will to live- it can't be denied. She had a pretty good day. She was back in the heap for a nice dirt bath in the sun. But spent most of the day by herself. She is in the coop with the rest for the night. I'll keep a close eye on her tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom