(UPDATE) 2 month chick can't stand up when she falls over

you can also opt to use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..no iron (Enfamil brand makes a formula with no iron)..give by drops on beak.
3 drops for 4 days, then taper off for a week.

also give the yogurt (plain), and Vitamin E..

my mix is this:
this is for 1 day..divide into 3 feeds..give for 5 days along with usual feed available.

1 small cooked egg yolk (or 1/2 of large)
drizzle of honey or 1-1/2 tsp. unsweetened applesauce or baby applesauce
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
3 tablespoons water softened baby oatmeal or cooked regular oatmeal
enough feed to make mix puffy, not soupy.
give along with your choice of vitamins..(Poly-vi-sol drops on beak or crushed tablets mixed with feed)

note that the leg problem is most likely keeping the chick from enough feed and water..adding to the nutrient deficiency problem.

Last edited:
That is the thing, she does not have any issue walking forward or backward, eats just fine. Her gullet is almost always full. Than kyou for the Poly-vi-sol suggestion.

I will see what she will do best with.... she is just a little spoiled now.. the little turd......
roll.png

the Vitamin B complex..(riboflavin is B vitamin) can help with the leg problems.

also..the yogurt feed mixes offer a mix of other nutrients that help with deficiency problems..
some chicks don't metabolize nutrients well.and need a little help.

Last edited:
OMG, that is EXACTLY the problem I just had....and it was also a red frizzle 8 week old pullet!! Weird! She had curly toe paralysis. She would also walk backwards, wasn't able to get up, and her toes started curling. I gave her the baby vitamins like someone suggested (curly toe caused by a riboflavin deficiency) and less than 24 hrs later she's fine! I gave her a MUCH higher dose than was suggested in this thread
hmm.png
...hope she'll be ok. For now she seems fine. Good luck with yours!

So far today, little Chipp is doing fine. Currently sitting in her box "purring" with a full gullet. She is still a little off, but doing well. She was not real sure about her new diet, but has been digging into it with gusto since she realized it was good stuff.......

Last edited:
ok, Chip is very active, curious and vocal. Yet she still cannot get up if she is on her side but has learned to squak pretty load when she needs help up. She does not seem to have use of her wings, but can and will take off and move all over the place. She is eating very well and otherwise seems very content and chortles ALL the time. She is going to probably just be the house darling. She is our "special" little goofy fluff ball.

chips1.jpg

chips2.jpg

chips3.jpg

chips4.jpg

chips5.jpg

chips6.jpg

chips7.jpg

Am I wrong for letting her stay alive when she seems to be pretty happy being spoiled?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Absolutely not! It never hurts to keep trying different things to help our chickens get better. Seems like your cutie Chipper might be coming around! She's eating, yaking, moving, all positive.

Its only when there is no choice.

Keep trying, I'm praying with you!

Val

fl.gif
love.gif

Heck no! Just say she's your Chicken-Parrot!

Oh I've so been thinking about Chip!!! I see her little face daily on my desktop. lol AND I have you to blame for our going out and buying seven frizzle cochins. /sigh

I wanted some Chippers of my own!

She's lovely as always. I'm betting that her wings are just effected by this and that's why she can't get up from her side - because she can't push up with them.

Have you been trying the Enfamil vitamins? We've had a couple of people on here who have had some success with that.

Boy she sure is cute.

My sling- chicken, mine that couldn't use her legs, probably should have been a cull, too. But when I went to treat her the day before I was going to do it, she just sang like a sweetheart. So I couldn't. She was very very happy- always singing, very happy to be here. So I kept treating her as she lived in her little sling.

Eventually, and it was a good couple of months, she kicked out of her sling and ran across the cage and collapsed on her side again. From a long time of nothing, she within a week went from that run to standing. She eventually was perfectly normal and even laid eggs regularly. Of course, um - she was a little un-normal because she had lived in our house all her growing up life. So she always had to have a little run rather than just free-ranging. But she was fine with that and had a buddy with her.
smile.png

So you never know.

In the mean time, I have more pictures to save and enjoy. lol

Chip's number one fan,
threehorses

OMG!!!! That is the CUTEST little chicken I've ever seen!!!! Her eyes are FULL of mischief! If you ever decide to rename her, I'd like to suggest "Goldilocks". LOL!!

ROFLMBO
lau.gif
........Thanks guys. Chipper knows she is special, trust me..... Threehorses - I am sort of sorry about you getting frizzles
hide.gif
...... But I don't think Chip is
jumpy.gif

Yes I have been doing the whole yogurt, vitamins and what not for her.

Birdlover, Chip says thank you
celebrate.gif

Right now she is standing at the very end of her box and chortling ..... she wants to get out and run around the house again I do believe
wee.gif
. If you are not in sight, she is rather quiet but if she can hear you or heaven forbid see you, her head is right over the top of the box and she is talking up a storm
duc.gif

oh and she is too good to share space with another chicken. She squacks terribly and carries on so if I bring in any other feathered member near her
smack.gif
..... I had a Polish that had been picked by the others REAL bad and we almost lost her last week - that polish was brought inside to be treated and to see if I could bring it around - Chip had a super coniption(sp) fit
rant.gif
until I put that bird in another cage in the OTHER room. Soooooooooo, what Chip wants, Chip gets
roll.png
. *SIGH* she has us trained well I guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom