English Shepherds for adoption

adoptedbyachicken

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
For those not aware a puppy mill internet sale breeder had all her dogs seized about 6 months ago, mostly English Shepherds but some Pugs and a few mix breeds. Over 200 dogs that had been mostly running loose and in poor condition. They have been rehabilitated to good health most will still need training and socialization. The court has released them for adoption now.

You can read all about it here, the breed club's rescue site is handling the adoptive process.

I rescued an English Shepherd last fall and I have to say he is the best farm dog ever. He helps herd the cattle and guards the chickens day and night. He was raised in the city and had no livestock contact so he needed to be bonded and then shown the way but even as a 7 year old he followed his instincts and has come out great.

Many keep them as companion dogs, they bond strong, but they are strong in guarding and high energy (most of them anyway) so something to think about.

Please consider one if your looking for a dog, Fergus is a very loving dog and a huge asset to our farm.

P5310077.jpg

Oh what a pretty dog. We actually are considering getting a new friend. We wanted a dog that is not huge and would be a good chicken protector as well as a family dog. I see in the link you posted that these dogs are in Billings, that is just a day trip from my home as I live in MT. I will mention this to DH when he gets home. Thanks for the info!

Let me know what you find out! Really great to see these dogs finally getting to move on in their lives.

There is over 200 of them, all the females were pregnant since they were all running loose, so the shelters have had many litters of puppies. Up till now they had to care for them in shelters, but the courts released them last week.

Have you heard of any rescue group(s) that may be able to transport to N. Oregon or N. Ca? I went to the link and read the story/saw some of the dogs, and they are just SO beautiful! I'd have to talk it over with the family, but if it were up to me alone.....

English Shepherds are GREAT dogs, my grandparents always had at least one.Along with grandpas hunting dogs(hounds,curs, terriers etc.)
They have loads of pictures of the farm from the 1930s to 1980s with the dogs in them. The dogs helped go get the cattle for milking, guarded the property and were best buddies to 13 kids.
smile.png

I checked in our "Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds" book, and the breed isn't even mentioned! It's a fairly new book, several hundred large, colorful pages...But it is mentioned in my small paperback book of the same name. I'm surprised the breed isn't more popular! I guess most people have down-sized to border collies and Aussies
hu.gif
?

I was born and raised in England, and I never heard of an English Shepherd while I lived there LOL The Kennel Club don't recognise them. Perhaps they're like Aussies (originating in Colorado).

Back
Top Bottom