ACD "herding" behaviors + training

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hi friends!

I posted another thread a couple weeks ago about reinforcing potty training with my 2yo female Blue Heeler rescue Cora, and thankfully that's resolved. However, we're now starting to see more of her "herding" behaviors coming out.

For backstory, I live with my DB and DM in an apartment, and this dog is primarily my responsibility, but everyone is happy to help with her. I adopted Cora at a shelter adoption event here about a month ago, and it's been as smooth as rescuing a dog can be. She's very shy but well behaved, very quiet, very much a couch potato, and is very bonded to me. Don't misunderstand me - I love that! I love having a little buddy all the time. However, she's become not quite aggressive towards my family, but will "herd" them by just putting her teeth around their hands/wrists with no pressure. Her favorite place in the world is my bed, and she spends most of the day (by her own choice) flopped on their with her fox toy. Whenever my family comes into my room, she will normally let them pet her, but then if they touch my bed next to her/do anything other than casual pets she'll do the herding thing. I know it's her way of telling someone to back off, and hey, more power to ya for having boundaries, girl, but it's inching towards aggression with my DB.
Like I mentioned before, Cora is a rescue, so we don't know her full story. The vet agreed that it seems like she's had puppies before (she will be spayed in a little over a month - shelter terms) and from her behavior with the men vs the women that she's met (and our experience with abused rescue dogs before) it seems that she was abused by a man at some point in her life. DB favors dogs that he can just horseplay with like a puppy, and I've had to explain to him many times that that behavior does not make her feel loved on, just annoyed, so he can't be too surprised when she tells him to back off.

This morning, I wasn't home and DB said that he came into my room to greet her after he got home and she snarled and growled at him to back off. He shut her in my room after that, and I got home about 10 minutes after it happened. I let her out and took her for a walk to get some energy out. She had her introductory visit to out vet today, which went just fine; she was a model of doggy behavior. She's been flopped on my bed all evening after that as usual, and DM came in about 10 minutes ago to talk to me then pet the dog before she left. The difficult part about this is that these moments happen so fast that I don't see exactly what happens in the moment. She said that Cora did the herding thing as she pulled back from petting her and stood by my bed, which was odd because Cora was happy to be pet - she even laid her head in DM's hands.

I guess what I'm asking is to what degree is this behavior normal of a herding dog? I know some of it is, that's just how they are, but what amount of it can be "corrected" or just influenced by training? I'm happy to do whatever it takes to make sure my dog is happy and well-adjusted to life.

Thank you for tolerating my infodump, BYCers :)

Personally, I would not let this dog on your bed anymore. If she is becoming aggressive then that must stop. She thinks your bed is her domain and the aggression will only get worse. Get her a nice doggie bed for your room and make her lay on that. If you find her on your bed, remove her before anyone comes into your room, she has to know her place. A dog that knows her place in the pack is a happy dog

First question have you ever owned an ACD?

ACD’s are work driven dogs, that require a job. Unfortunately it sounds like your dog has decided to take on the job of guarding the bed. ACD’s belong on a farm or larger property. Exercise is not enough for this caliber of dog and requires mind stimulation. It’s incredibly intelligent and desires to please the owner.
This will continue to become worse with time if left in the room, owning a Cattle Dog is a lifestyle change and not your everyday dog. Very high caliber and can be very territorial and possessive.

Herding is bred into this animal for many years. You can only redirect the behavior. Remember this dog was bred to stand in front of an adult cow or bull and tell it to go the opposite direction or else. No bullshit type of dog.

Also cattle dogs are very mouthy, everything is based around using their mouth. Normal behavior to play with their mouth and be “mouthy”. Teach your ACD commands and know when to shut it down. They are 0 to 100 and if it’s during play give a “that’ll do” and walk away. Also recommend clicker training.

Also highly recommend this book.

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpeg
    IMG_4667.jpeg
    847.6 KB · Views: 11
Here to help, I’ve raised two herding dogs in my lifetime and currently have a 6 yo ACD raised all by positive reinforcement since a pup.

I will tell you, they are absolute machines of a dog. Took me 3 years of consistent training. Many miles of hiking, and lots of trips to Cabela’s and Home Depot for obedience training. He has a killer recall and will not leave my side, but will absolutely lay his life on the line for my family especially my daughter.

They choose one loyal owner, but will defend the pack with any means necessary. Enjoy the best dog you will ever own, just be dedicated and consistent to get there.

Attachments

• 41DDDDEF-77BA-425E-BECA-6F6CCA4DD677.jpeg
    41DDDDEF-77BA-425E-BECA-6F6CCA4DD677.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Sorry for the long delay in replying!

The mild aggression issue has stopped, I think it was just part of her settling in.

@HootWhite , thank you so much for your input! It's been very helpful. I'm reading the Monks of New Skete book How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend, so I'm excited to learn more while reading. I have not owned an ACD before, and it seems that I've lucked out with a lower-energy one. Important to note: she is heartworm positive and on a slow kill treatment plan, which may contribute to a lack of energy. She's not lethargic, but one could describe her as a couch potato. We still go on long walks, but I'm hesitant to run/jog with her because of the heartworms and per vet's advice. Since she can't have as much physical exertion, I've been focusing on mental exertion and lower-impact play; she has a puzzle game to find individual pieces of her kibble and a tug toy that she's obsessed with. I think she's in a good place now - forgive my nervous new owner postings!

Back
Top Bottom