Silkie Stock in the Pressure Cooker

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
I wanted to share this basic technique with my friends here at BYC. You can use this for any chicken but I needed to use up a few silkies I had in the freezer, was running low on stock that I use in almost all my recipes and dog food, and needed a couple pounds of cleaned silkie meat for another recipe I want to try.

My pressure cooker is 7.2 quart so three silkies fit just perfect. I like to use a trio in this application because it's just the right amount of chicken and it prevents the trio from breeding.

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

Next I add the birds, an onion or two, some garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to the cooker. I then fill it 3/4 of the way up. You never want to fill a pressure cooker to the top.

P1010039.jpg

P1010039.jpg

Now I bring it up to temp on high. Once the vent starts releasing steam I back down to medium high and let cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Then turn off heat and let it cool off and depressurize on it's own.

P1010041.jpg

Ahhhh. Doesn't that look good and rich?

P1010042.jpg

P1010043.jpg

Now I strain the stock, put it in a bowl to cool and put the meat on a cookie sheet. It cools quicker that way and is easier to clean.

P1010047-1.jpg

I then set up a few dishes. One for good meat, one for the dogs, and one for bones.

P1010046-2.jpg

Once cleaned this is the what's left over. Bottom left is 1.5 pounds of cleaned meat ready for chicken tacos, chicken salad, or in my case, my next recipe. The bowl on the bottom right is for the dogs and the top right are the bones.

P1010048-1.jpg

Bonus Wishbone:

P1010050-1.jpg

Enjoy...
smile.png

Wow! Everything looks great! You and your dogs will be happy campers!! I had three roos that I de-breasted put those back in the freezer then put the carcass and veggie scraps in my large roaster and its been simmering since yesterday morning. It will simmer till tomorrow. I then strain it and put it in the frig to set up the fat then I will pressure can it Thursday. You are right, it does make a richer stock. Since I make A LOT I don't use a pressure cooker. I'll go for canning. Keep up the good work.

That is the first time I have ever seen a processed silkie. The skin color is well,,,,,,,,,different.

Henry'schickens :

Wow! Everything looks great! You and your dogs will be happy campers!! I had three roos that I de-breasted put those back in the freezer then put the carcass and veggie scraps in my large roaster and its been simmering since yesterday morning. It will simmer till tomorrow. I then strain it and put it in the frig to set up the fat then I will pressure can it Thursday. You are right, it does make a richer stock. Since I make A LOT I don't use a pressure cooker. I'll go for canning. Keep up the good work.

That is the first time I have ever seen a processed silkie. The skin color is well,,,,,,,,,different.

Thanks for being the first to be brave enough to join in this thread. The bird on the left was plucked but the other two ere skinned so they look a little different.

I always simmered my birds. The advantage to a slow cook like that is the bones are so soft I grind them and add them to the dog food. The advantage of the pressure cooker is it's quick and it seems to give the meat of a silkie of standard roo a softer texture. The meat also seems easier to pick off the bones after pressure cooking.​

Quote:
Cruel? These silkies were not very friendly or smart. Plus, after all, they are a chicken.

Ok, I may be a little cruel to the silkie lovers who are gagging right now.
wink.png

Good Job Pisan, that stock looks really nice and rich it would make great gravy or soup. Don You make me proud LOL.

AL

Quote:
Cruel? These silkies were not very friendly or smart. Plus, after all, they are a chicken.

Ok, I may be a little cruel to the silkie lovers who are gagging right now.
wink.png

They knew you were going to eat them, that's why they were not nice to you
tongue.gif

Oh but don't get me wrong............. if it weren't for the black skin, I could probably eat it. That just looks gross!
sickbyc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom