Real fried chicken in the air fryer (and gluten free)!

Susan Skylark

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
F59B5EA3-E6EA-4DC3-A443-56012D5BB0F4.jpeg

I tried this a few weeks ago with store bought chicken thighs and it was so good I’ve been eyeing up our month old quail but happily for them chicken thighs were on sale today😉. I have a ninja foodi so you may have to adapt it to your particular brand. I also like thighs for flavor, price, and amount of meat per piece but you could use any bone in skin on piece, just adjust the time. This is fashioned after ‘oven fried chicken’ but it came out like real fried chicken without the deep frying! I also can’t eat wheat or dairy so traditional fried chicken is a big no-no, until now! I use eggs in the moistening step but buttermilk, etc would be great, whatever you choose to use I think the protein is important as a binder (so soy milk might not be as effective). I use corn for the breading (crunchy!) but a combo of Panko bread crumbs and wheat flour could also work or feel free to try your own idea (oatmeal not so much!). This recipe is totally adaptable, it also tastes great cold, freezes well, and stays crunchy if reheated in the oven/air fryer!

1. Soak chicken pieces in liquid of choice for at least half an hour, I used a couple eggs and water plus worchestershire sauce and little brown mustard, yogurt, buttermilk, etc would work well, you want something with protein in it for good binding so go real dairy if you can.

2. Press moistened chicken into breading, I did half fine corn meal and half corn starch with salt, garlic pepper, paprika and a dash red pepper, but adapt as desired.

3. Pour a tsp of oil of choice on each piece and allow to soak in for five minutes as you preheat your air fryer at 390F.

4. Air fry, skin side up 7 minutes, then flip and repeat twice, so you finish skin side up and cook for about 20 minutes or until crispy and internal temp is as desired.

Cool for a few minutes on a wire rack and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom