What your chickens can and can't eat!

None! I'm talking about meat from large chain companies. The meat that I saw at the store had preservatives in it so I buy from local butcher shops now and make sure they don't have anything added to them.
Please do get some pics next time you're at one of those stores. It is hard to believe because I've never seen it.

Technically it wouldn't. Thats why I recommend feeding chickens FRESH raw meat from local butcher shops.
What do you mean "technically it wouldn't"?

There is a bit of fuzziness in certain ways some things are on the label but if anything (even water) is added then something has to be on the label.

"...The statutes and regulations to enforce the statutes require certain information on labels of meat and poultry products so consumers will have complete information about a product. In all cases, ingredients must be listed on the product label in the ingredients statement in order by weight, from the greatest amount to the least.

Substances such as spices and spice extractives may be declared as "natural flavors," "flavors," or "natural flavoring" on meat and poultry labels without naming each one. ..."

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...food-safety-basics/additives-meat-and-poultry

Semi-related, when I was looking for information on the topic of preservatives in meat, I found this interesting.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...aration/food-safety-basics/water-meat-poultry

What do you mean "technically it wouldn't"?

There is a bit of fuzziness in certain ways some things are on the label but if anything (even water) is added then something has to be on the label.

"...The statutes and regulations to enforce the statutes require certain information on labels of meat and poultry products so consumers will have complete information about a product. In all cases, ingredients must be listed on the product label in the ingredients statement in order by weight, from the greatest amount to the least.

Substances such as spices and spice extractives may be declared as "natural flavors," "flavors," or "natural flavoring" on meat and poultry labels without naming each one. ..."

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...food-safety-basics/additives-meat-and-poultry

Semi-related, when I was looking for information on the topic of preservatives in meat, I found this interesting.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...aration/food-safety-basics/water-meat-poultry
I also can’t find any information on preservatives used on any cut meat like steak cuts etc but only on deli meat which is meant to have a longer shelf life etc. Also from what I seen doesn’t Walmart and sams club both have a butcher that cuts the meat fresh in the back? Well I know this for sams because they have a clear window where they butcher the meat

Here, I think this is what @PMD PerformanceHorses might be trying to say. I don't have any Walmart meats (one of these might be as I'm not sure where it came from), but I took pictures of a few labels on meats from another chain store.

20240202_132050.jpg

20240202_132059.jpg

20240202_132205.jpg

20240202_132221.jpg

Some of these DO have added ingredients, and those people probably wouldn't be feeding their chickens them anyways. For preservatives, they would say something that would have to do with preservation as previous people have said.

On a lot of stores, the meat is only out there until a certain date, then they are thrown in a freezer and sold in the freezer section. (Sometimes labels/packaging is changed to fix a freezer date instead of fresh date.) That's the preservation on meats with no added ingredients, unless, of course, they went through some preservation process (which might still be on the label somewhere, and is probably only done on meats like sausage, bacon, etc.).

As far as the meats I'm giving my chickens, they're usually from a friend or relative, and if it's deer, it was either given to us or a fresh roadkill (that was safe for human consumption). For meats like hamburg and such, my family will eat freeze it until we're ready to eat it. If it's getting thrown out, it's no longer fit to eat, so my birds never get any of it.

I hope this post clears up some confusion for everyone concerning store bought meats. All in all, check for an ingredient list on your meats before feeding it to your chickens, along with the expiration date. If the meat looks or smells off, despite it not reaching its expiration date, don't feed it to your chickens because it could have spoiled.

Attachments

• 20240202_132003.jpg
    20240202_132003.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 5
I don't see anything added to the beef or chicken, it's just the sausages. And salt, spices and whatnot added to flavour (not preserve) them can be given to chickens too - indeed, like all animals they need some salt in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom