Help Please! Pecan Pie

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I was going to make my SOs grandmother a Pecan Pie for this weekends christmas get together. The last time I made a Pecan Pie was over 2 years ago for my SOs bday and that pie turned out... just not right.

I dont have any clue what I did wrong. The nuts were sorta burnt but the middle wanst stiff. I also used a gram cracker crust (pre made) in a tin plate.

I thought I would do a practice one today and do the real one friday night (?). How long is a Pecan Pie good for after baking (when does it taste its best)?
I will be using a pie tin this time also but regular pie crust.

Here is the recipe I am going to use
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pecan-Pie-V/Detail.aspx

If you look through the pictures some of them look rather.. well.. not to be the right texture.
Why do they look like that?

Any tips/tricks for Pecan Pie?
If you have a better recipe I am open to suggestions
smile.png

I dont have any Karo Syrup so I cant use one that calls for that.

Last edited:
That sounds about right..I do use the Karo, but I would think the brown sugar/white sugar combo might work..I also add a tablespoon of lemon juice..(my mother did)..seams to enhance the taste..definetly a pastry crust..As for how long it will keep..of course the fresher the better..I think after 2-3 days the crust gets soggy.

Sarah I went back and looked at some of the pics..you are right..some of them look..well..nasty!! Mine looks more like 7, 17, 21..I like to use the light Karo..thus it is lighter..maybe some of the expert cooks will have some other ideas..

My first thought is that the temp on your oven is too high. Are you reducing it back down to 350 like the recipe says? 400 degrees for the first 10 minutes it to brown the pecans. When you reduce the temp to 350, I would recommend covering the pie with foil. It will keep the pecans from burning and hold the heat in so the filling can cool better. If you feel the crust or pecans need more browning, you can remove the foil for the last 5-10 minutes. Be careful to keep the foil from sticking to the crust. Also, the filling is not done until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Make sure it is cooked thoroughly. The filling should keep its shape when it is plated. Hope that helps.

My first thought is -that's a bad pecan pie recipie. Go to the store and get the Karo syrup- there is a recipie on the back, if that doens't work, pm me, when I get home tonight I will send you mine. And I have never heard of a graham cracker crust on a pecan, seems to me that would get nasty in the oven with as long as it takes to bake the pie. Oh yea, when you go to the store, get an oven themometer if you don't have one. Some ovens can be off by 10-15 degrees which will screw up any pastry you make.

Last edited:
This is the recipe I use - the secret is the sugar and the syrup. Many recipes add flour to tighten up the filling as there isn't enough sugar and/or high enough temp to get the sugar to set in the baking.

With the eggs as a binder and boiling the sugar and syrup first you are reaching a higher temp than just baking.

I have never used a graham cracker crust for a pecan pie and I can't imagine the combo is a tasty one.

1 c sugar
1 1/2 c Karo syrup (I prefer 1/2 dark and 1/2 light: the dark adds a deeper richness to the flavor, don't skimp, use the Karo brand)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter (real butter, no substitutes)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans - you can use a coarse chop or whole
1 unbaked deep dish pie shell

In saucepan boil sugar and corn syrup together for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside to cool slightly.

In large bowl beat eggs lightly and very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly.

Stir in butter, vanilla, and pecans and pour into crust.

Bake in a 350°F oven for about 45 to 60 minutes or until set.

Watch the edges so they don't brown too quickly and burn.

A southern pecan pie is an art form in itself.​

Oh yea, that is the recipie- I would for sure take Miss Prissy's advice. As a matter of fact, I am taking her recipie.

Now ya'll need to quit this!!! I'm gonna report ya'll to a moderator for making me drool all over my keyboard!!!

Oops, I forgot, you *are* a moderator...well see, I've already got my report in!!!

Send those pecan pies to me...I'm an internationally acclaimed art critic!
4fvfcja.gif

Ed

Quote:
A southern pecan pie is an art form in itself.

I always use the recipe on the Karo syrup bottle and do not have a problem.

I always like to add a square of bakers chocolate to the butter when I soften it to have chocolate pecan pie, it's wonderful. I also mix my light and dark syrup like Miss P.

If you have a problem with your oven temp, go in and stir the pie up while in the oven after it has baked for about 15-20 minutes, it will cook more evenly. I had an oven that was off and that is what I did to compensate.

I know my pecan pie will be a hit now!! Thanks Miss Prissy. How about the sugar? Raw or white?

For this one use white granulated sugar. The raw isn't fine enough to completely melt away.

I thought I clicked quote and accidently edited your post - I am sorry OH!!! My goof

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom