Turkey Sperm wanted...

Wilder Family

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Los Angeles
I originally posted this subject as "Turkey Breeding, but feel it's a bit vague. We have one female turkey, an 8 months standard bronze, and she appears to be in heat. All the signs are there and as we ate her mate last Thanksgiving, we are wondering if there is an alternate source for turkey sperm. Our pair were commercial chicks and even though they were raised freerange, his breed was too genetically altered to have mated naturally. Where there's a will there's a way, so I thought I would check around this forum before embarrassing myself with calls to the local feed stores!! Thanks for any advice you can give.

Why don't you ask around your hometown for people with tom turkeys? Because the sperm must be kept chilled (I think) or used fast, otherwise it will be no good.

Check with your local Ag. College as well. Is your hen `Standard' or a Broad Breasted commercial? Both Standard (heritage) and BBB hens can produce viable offspring if mated with a heritage tom. Our neighbor's Bourbon Red tom mated with their BBB hen. The first hatch produced 8 poults from 15 eggs (she sat them). The following year she was torn apart on her nest by a raccoon before hatching and the coon got the eggs as well.

You might ask around and see if you can't find a tom to stand stud if you are in a hurry and cost is prohibitive. If you are looking to mate her with a BBW or BBB tom then, yes, the hunt will be on.

ed:clarity

Last edited:
I have a midget white tom you could try on her... maybe we could split the eggs? So

mt6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom