PPBA Stockton California show

Here is a little more information on what is going on for the show folks, on which days. I get so excited seeing the details finally come out! You'd think I was in to show birds or something? Nah, I just love chickens, and these are the BEST chickens to be seen! It's like Chicken Disneyland to me! I like to meet up with folks, but it feels awkward, and I keep wanting to go spend more time with the chickens...

Personally, I like Saturday the best, it is the Main Event day, and the birds are still fresh, there may still be something left in the sales barn, and judging is still taking place, along with the rest of the events. Thats the fun atmosphere. Sunday is more like the clean up and end of things, final business stuff. Thats when birds start leaving the floor and champions go home. All during the event some show folks pull their entries from the show, like if they are Disqualified for one reason or another, and take them and sell them at the sales barn. Other folks bring birds just to sell.

The best timing for sales, etc. would be the middle of Saturday, in my opinion!

There have been some great vendors before, but I dont recall seeing any incubators? I get occupied with birds though - they could be there?

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Thursday, January 28th (Show set up for show people)
9:00 AM Show room set-up
4:00 PM Shavings & cups

Friday, January 29th
2:00 PM Buildings Open
6:00 PM Potluck Dinner
There is no charge for the meal; however we are asking all exhibitors who would like to have dinner, to contribute a salad or side dish.
9:00 PM Buildings Close

Saturday, January 30th
7:00 AM Buildings Open
8:00 AM American Game Coop In
Youth Activities (Judging & Quiz) Begin
8:30 AM Breeders Raffle Trios Judged
9:00 AM Judging Begins
Junior/Intermediate/Senior
Showmanship Bldg.3
11:00 AM Mini & Novice Showmanship Bldg.3
12 noon Youth Activities (Judging & Quiz) End
3:00 PM Breeders Raffle
3:30 PM Raffle
5:00 PM Junior Champion Row Judging
5:30 PM Buildings Close
5:30 PM Banquet Social Hour/Wine Raffle
6:00 PM Banquet

Sunday, January 31st
8:00 AM Building 2 Opens
8:30 AM Judging of Champions
10:30 AM Bldg. 1 Opens, Bird Release
12 noon All birds must be removed

NO EXHIBITS EXCEPT PIGEONS WILL BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE ON SATURDAY!

THE SALES AREA (Poultry)
The sales room will be under the supervision of the El Dorado County Youth Poultry Club
„h Sales cages will be provided for members of the PPBA only and should be paid in advance with the entry form..
„h Please include payment for membership with entry if you want sale cage(s).
„h Cost is $10 per hole.
„h No birds shall be kept in private boxes/cages in the sales room at any time.
„h No more than 5 bantams or 3 standard fowl in a single cage.
„h PPBA will provide large cage(s) for turkeys and geese. Please note on entry.
„h Cages should be paid for in advance with entry.
„h Cage cards will be provided to all purchasers of space at check-in.
„h Cage card including price of birds should be placed on cage(s) prior to placing birds in cage(s).
„h Selling birds outside of the sales room is prohibited. No out of car selling unless you are delivering birds sold prior to the show.
„h All birds must be purebred and healthy.
„h Sale birds will be checked by an APA judge for quality and must meet standard qualifications set by club in order to be sold.
„h Owners are responsible for the sale, feeding and watering of their own stock unless an authorization form has been signed, giving EDCYPC permission to sell their birds. There is a 10% sales fee for selling the birds, and feeding and watering them. Authorization Forms will be available in the sales room.
„h Boxes will be for sale in the Sales Room for a nominal fee.
„h Neither PPBA nor EDCYPC will be responsible for lost or stolen birds.
„h On Sunday, we request that sales area be promptly vacated at the conclusion of the show. All birds must be removed from the sales area no later than 11am on Sunday.
FRY-SHAW POULTRY
Standard Wyandottes in Buff, Silver Laced
Bantam Wyandottes in Black, White
Also Red Pyle O.E. Bantams
Daniel Fry-Shaw, APA Lic. Judge
2450 Itsa Trail, El Dorado
530-620-7975

I hope this information is helpful, when I find it I put it here....

And for sales at the show:

If you want to sell something at the show, there is a vendor form, I'm sure you guys already do all that stuff though:

Vendor and Breed Club Application for Table/Booth Space

Booth spaces will be assigned and marked before you arrive, please look for a piece of paper taped to the wall with your name on it. If you have questions or concerns please contact Chris Tamayo at [email protected]. Vendor fees should be made payable to PPBA and send to: PPBA, c/o Chris Tamayo, 9829 Falcon Meadow Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95624. All fees must/will be paid prior to the PPBA show.

----------------------------------------------Vendors please fill out this section-------------------------------------------------

VENDORS (anyone who is NOT a breed club!):
Business Name:
Contact Person:
Phone Number:
Email Address:
Booth fee is $30 per 10x10’ space. You will be provided with one table and two chairs if needed, per 10x10’ space. Additional tables may be rented for $6 each, and additional chairs may be rented for $1 each.
Number of 10x10’ spaces needed: @ $30 per space =
EXTRA tables needed: @ $6 per table =
EXTRA chairs needed: @ $1 per chair =
TOTAL BOOTH FEE:
Do you need access to an electrical outlet? Yes No
(You must provide your own extension cords).
If you are providing your own table ( ) or chairs ( ) please check the appropriate boxes so that we won’t leave any at your booth.

My friend and I are looking forward to going to this show just to look at all the birds!!
ya.gif
For those looking for Muscovy babies and/or eggs, we may have some hatched by then. Please PM/email me if you are interested. We also have family in the Bay Area so we head down there occasionally as well and would have no problem bringing babies or eggs with us.

Hmmm,

A Stockton Wishlist....

Thats actually how I first found BYC, looking for a white sillkie rooster before the show one year....one thing led to another, and I found the BYC website! One time I drove all the way to Tracy to meet Eggchel to pick up some birds...one got loose in the parking lot at Starbucks and earned his name - "Starbuck" - I only regret not getting Sebastopols from her at the time. Now my SN son would love to have some of the curly geese...But right now they would be a sad bunch of wet feathers!

I did learn that folks will meet you before or during the show and bring birds just for you, you can arrange to pick them up there. You have to arrange it before hand though, because sales from cars in the parking lot is against the rules. But it's a nice place to meet up to get birds, since alot of great poultry people are already heading there!

Maybe we could have a Stockton Poultry Show Wish List or Sale/Offer thread? Kind of a Wanted or For Offer and then folks could make their own arrangements? I'm not good with stuff like this, I just know it would be neat to see....but it's probably getting too close to the show, I guess.

Well, have fun! It's a great show, some awesome breeders will be there with super birds....a fantastic event.

Quote:
I concur. DW and I are now trying to come up with a gameplan before heading out there. Can't wait! It sounds like it will be tons of fun.

ETA: Hey so noob question here... Do people generally bring more chicks, pullets or hens to sell? I know, I know... yall can kick me when we meet up there but i just have no idea what to expect. I want to know whether I should be working on a brooder or an additional coop. xD We have come to the conclusion that in order for us to sell eggs and eat eggs consistantly we will need many more chooks...
wink.png
Not that we plan to buy an additional flock there but we want to come away with a few at least after this event.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Hey, um... bump! I wanted to ask a question so I edited my last post but this thread was slowly sinking so I'm bumping it... Really looking forward to going to the show next Saturday!

Hello all, just wondering if anyone attending the PPBA Stockton show may have some speckled sussex and/or Ameraucana eggs available to sale. I will be attending and I would love to purchase them. I am also looking for a couple of Buff Brahma eggs. please PM me if you are attending. not looking for many of either breeds, 4-6 eggs each. small incubator.

Thank you
Norm
caf.gif

What I have generally seen for sale at the Stockton show has been adult birds, occasionally pullets or cockerals, most dont bring chicks unless its a prior arrangement (that's the car to car sale I spoke of previously. I know if you dont make a private arrangement ahead of time for someone to sell you something you like - make note of the names of the folks showing. They are going to be the people to talk to if you are serious about breeding certain lines of birds, the "real" thing....which you will be able to see that show quality is VERY different than an average hatchery bird.

When it comes down to it, a chicken is a chicken - they hatch out of an egg, and it's a hen or a rooster. But man, how one variety can differ so much in size and appearance due to breeding is just amazing? I would be proud to own some of beautiful birds at the shows...they are just lovely! They seem too perfect to be real! Can they possibly be just like regular chickens?

Anyhow, at the show there are usually lots and lots of birds there, to be judged....lots. Tables lined with cages, cage after cage, hundreds in each building! And it is LOUD! All of the rooster compete for attention! And the geese! Then there are tables with different interests, such as the Poultry Association, etc...some sales type items with feed options, feeders, chicken stuff, books, poultry and show related things. There is the raffle table and items, the kitchen/food sales area with tables in one of the auditoriums, and there is a "sales barn" where the birds for sale have been. Cages of chickens, and some waterfowl, quail, pigeons, parakeets even, and last year I saw an Emu! The owners are not always around, and they leave a name and number to call, or you wait for them, or someone in the room can help you. Organized chaos is all I can say.

I hope this helps, I am getting warmed up for the show!
Tina

Back
Top Bottom